Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download Adaware Or Do Online House Call Scan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nana1946

nana1946

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

I am trying to clean my laptop of malaware etc. as per instructions on "Do you have popups or other malware infecting your computer" here. Everytime I click on the download url for AdAware internet explorer shuts down. So I went on and downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy...no problems downloading and running that. So, I tried to do an online scan of my computer using House Call but IE shut down when I tried to start that also. I have AVG virus protection running. Could this be the problem? Should I disable it while trying to download AdAware and trying to run HouseCall? Thanks for any help you can offer!

OK, I was finally able to download AdAware and ran it...had a bunch of tracking cookies but that is all. Downloaded Spybot and ran it...no problems there. Used the spybot startup tool to stop some startup processes that weren't needed and did a full virus scan which found no problems. So, I guess I am good to go. The link posted in the "Do you have popups....etc." pinned thread did not work for me...I finally looked around on BC and found another url for it and was able to download it from 3Geeks or something like that. Whew. I am tired...

Nana1946

Edited by nana1946, 15 April 2007 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hello nana1946, First welcome to bleeping computer.
As the link woorked for me you may still have some thing there. Please Download,install,update then scan with SuperAntiSpyware . This from the link Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps. Let us know how things work out.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thank you. I did as you suggested and it found loads of tracking cookies and took care of them. Thanks again! I now have Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware loaded and working!

Nana1946

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

You're welcome. Remember to update those programs at least weekly and also to scan weeky.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 nana1946

nana1946
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

I think I have both Spybot and SuperAntiSpy set to automatically update weekly. I will make sure they all three are updated frequently though! Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users