Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 r_khan

r_khan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hello.

I was installing windows updates yesterday night when i accidentally shut down the computer while it was installing the updates.

Today when i tried to turn on the computer, i chose last known good configuration a, but it keeps on restarting. It doesnt go past the Windows XP Splash Screen. When i tried safe mode and safe mode with networking, it still keeps on restarting...

The blue screen says.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical information

STOP: 0x000000ED(0x85B785F0,0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have tried everything i know to solve this problem but it wont work.

i followed the instructions on this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302/en-us but i still get the same error message.

also, windows is installed on C but it gave me the option of drive D. when i tried to run checkdisk the only option i had was D:\MiniNT. My OS is on my C drive and i have no idea what MiniNT is.

also...i tried making another partition but it says i have to format my entire C drive to make another partition. I deleted the first partition (D) and it still has i have to reformat my C drive. It doesnt make sense.

Now i am thinking to install a hard drive from my old computer into this computer, have the files transferred there...then do a clean install of windows on my previous Hard drive and then when windows finally runs, just transfer the files over and remove the new hard drive...good idea???

i tried the repair install except it doesnt give me an option of repair...it says i have to do a clean install which i cannot afford to do. i have about 100GB of important information on the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

A clean install would be the best idea, but when you say you tried running chkdsk, did you run it from the "Recovery Console" from the XP cd?

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users