Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Capacity

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

Hello,

i have a new laptop w/ 100G HDD specs.... but when i check system properties it only reads 90G, i am wondering where is the remaining 10G??? but when i check my BIOS it reads 96820mb SATA1 (set in auto)..... is it normal to have inaccurate reading of HDD capacity? or is there something i can do to retrieve the remaining 10G?

I have my HDD partition c:/ 52.0G and d:/ 38.1G both NTFS, i am using XPHome SP2.

thanks in advance,
Semp

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

don't quote me on this but i think i have read an article here somewhere similar to your question something
aboutmissing gb being lost in the mix sort of i'm sure some one will post the link i just don't no it offhand
gl mz30 :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Thats just how HDD's are

Its the 1024/1000 thing

The HDD Manufacturer bases the HDD on 1000bytes in a KB

Windows reads it as 1024b per KB so you get less space

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Looks like you also have a hidden recovery partition If you have an HP or Compaq this is the case. Some other brands also have the recovery partition. What brand of computer do you have? based on the sizes, it looks like acer or Fujitsu.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

new it was something strange like that (mental note- must pay more attention) :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#6 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Looks like you also have a hidden recovery partition If you have an HP or Compaq this is the case. Some other brands also have the recovery partition. What brand of computer do you have? based on the sizes, it looks like acer or Fujitsu.

its LG, i was the one who made the partition but before i made that, i already have the 10gb lost.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#7 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Thats just how HDD's are

Its the 1024/1000 thing

The HDD Manufacturer bases the HDD on 1000bytes in a KB

Windows reads it as 1024b per KB so you get less space

so its normal..... right?

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

What do you mean, normal?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#9 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

that windows read HDD a little bit lesser than HDD manufacturer..

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Yes, HDD's are marketed and sold in whole round numbers. Whereas actual data is in 1024 increments.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:52 PM

If you r click on the drive icon in MyComputer you will see two different numbers listed. the actual capacity, undivided, and the windows number divided by 1024 : 27,253,202,624 bytes=25.6 GB

#12 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:02 AM

I see, that makes thing clear for me... thanks a lot.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

Thanks oldf@rt for helping clear things up. I never thought of looking in the obvious place for the information. :thumbsup:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

No worries, Thanks ANIMAL.

Edited by oldf@rt, 15 April 2007 - 01:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users