Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process For Win32

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Generic Guest

Generic Guest

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi,

Recently, I've been getting a message upon starting my computer that tells me of an error in Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. Data Execution Prevention has stopped some sort of action that apparently may or may not be malicious. The message usually pops up twice, and is followed by a system error which gives the following:

Error report -
EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 0.0.0.0 P3 : 00000000
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 00000000
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008

Error details -
C:\DOCUME~1\(my name)\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb75f.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\(my name)\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb75f.dir00\appcompat.txt

The computer does not generally seem any slower than before, but I've noticed that Firefox will have errors more often, and the volume and volume controls are no longer working. I can't open iTunes either.

Leading up to this event, I had just been using a new wireless network that had been installed a while ago, which I used before with no problems, then I used my computer without internet connection somewhere else. Then I came home to my normal wireless, and this problem came up. The first time I got the error, I couldn't get an internet connection either (attempting to repair connection failed to renew the IP address). The internet works fine now, though. I hadn't downloaded anything the time I used the computer right before the error. What I suspect could be behind it is that I downloaded and installed Nokia PC Suite a few days before this happened. I recently uninstalled the main program for it (but I think there may be some drivers that came with it which still remain).

On the first restart after getting rid of Nokia PC Suite (and also uninstalling my HP printer that hadn't been working in forever - since I read somewhere that HP printers may be involved with this), my volume was working again and so was iTunes, but then later on, it stopped at some point. I haven't received the error message on every startup, only most of them.

I've run a registry fixer by Advanced System Optimizer's free trial, and the problem wasn't fixed. I have a system restore point not too long ago, so I could resort to that, but I'd rather not have to. Also, if this does happen to be a case of Windows terminating a real virus which could do more damage, I wouldn't know if the restore included that virus or not.

Basically, I'd like to know if there's a virus on my computer or if there is a conflict with software/hardware or drivers that is causing this error as a mistake. Either one, I would appreciate any help I can get in solving this. If I need to move over to the HijackThis section, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

update: I guess I should add the message I get when I click on volume control. It says there are "no active mixer devices available" and tells me to install one by going to Control Panel and clicking on Add Hardware, which of course only notices that I have no new hardware.

Edited by Generic Guest, 14 April 2007 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

sounds malware related start here
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image