Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pitfalls of only having a router as my firewall?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

Right now I do not have any firewall software for my PC, just hardware (4-port wired router). What are the pluses and minuses of going this route, and how prudent would it be to also have firewall software in addition? Do firewall software program use a lot of RAM?

Thanks,

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:29 PM

Well, there are positives and negatives to every firewall. One might not be better than the other, but using both can protect you even further than just a single hardware firewall. Hardware firewalls can protect you without much configuration, which can be both good and bad. The good is that it can protect and hide you from the internet world. The bad is that the firewall may allow information to get back out that you don't want out on the internet or to a hacker.

Software firewalls are good at limiting information that may leave your computer. If you get a virus that is a DOS attack, the firewall would recognize that it's a new program trying to send information out of your computer. The hardware firewall wouldn't recognize this. The software firewall adapts to your browsing and internet habits better than the hardware firewall. It will ask you if you want this program to access the internet (if it's one of the better ones).

I am most concerned about my information leaving my computer, but I also don't want my computer exposed to the internet. The best solution for me is both.

Here's a link to understand more about firewalls

Firewall Information
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users