Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kmart812

kmart812

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

hello there. this summer i am planning on buying a new laptop, and i just wanted to get advice on wat laptop to get and whether or not to install Vista on it. i am looking to buy a Dell but dont know wat model i should get. any advice is appreciated. thank u

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

Depends on what you want to do with it - play games, surf the web, do work of different sorts, etc.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

well, im in school, so most of my use will be school related or just surfing the web. not too much gaming tho, im not into computer gaming too much.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

"school related"

Hmm...

if the programs they require won't run on Vista, that might help you decide real quick.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:26 AM

For school and surfing the web, almost any laptop will do. I'd suspect that you'll need an office suite for school. Try OpenOffice - it's free and v2.2 and above support Vista. http://www.openoffice.org

If you'll be listening to much music, or videos you may want to get a more substantial system tho'
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

the main thing i need to know about is whether or not i should get Vista on my new laptop.......... will it be worth it or should i stick with XP?

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

kmart812 -

In my opinion, it isn't a simple answer.

That's why I mentioned that if a software package that you will need to run won't run on Vista, it makes the decision easy.

Otherwise, we could, and some probably will, argue either way.

XP has been around for a while and is relatively stable.

Vista, while new, will only continue to improve (just as XP did in the beginning), and has some arguably superior security features - User Account Control and Internet Explorer 7 running in Protected Mode, for example.

Personally, unless you know of a software issue, I would go with Vista Premium as a minimum. (I agree with many others - Vista Basic isn't a good idea) Both XP and Vista are coming out with frequent security updates, so neither is being ignored in that area. You can get good, free, security programs for both, and, as mentioned, you can get a free office suite - OpenOffice, too. More and more "current" versions of other software will become Vista capable just as it did when XP first came out.

That's my 2 cents.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users