Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp2, Where Is Log Of D/ll Patches Installed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

I was wondering where I find the log of patches that I have d/l for windows home edition sp2 and does it give the date that the patch was installed as I have been encountering problems with my notebook and it has been in 2 shops for malware checks and all have been negative.
Both techs suggested that the problem maybe related to a recent patch install from M$, as I know that I did d/l a couple and it was recently.

Can a patch be removed and if so, how do I do that.
As I may try to do this to see if this improves my problem. A suggestion of the techs.

I am not that computer knowledgeable about these systems and tried googling but could not find anything that answered my query.

I am sorry if it seems to be a silly question, however I don't know the answer.
Thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 14 April 2007 - 02:53 PM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:05 PM

Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs
At the top of the Add/Remove window, put a check in the box next to, Show updates.
Scroll down to, and click on the update you want to remove, then click the Remove button.

Edited by tg1911, 14 April 2007 - 03:09 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thx for the reply, I am going to google the patches that I installed on

Windows Imaging Component
kb920342
kb925876
kb925720 all installed march 26
kb925902 installed april 4

I am continually having problems with IE6 encountering problems and closing and tech Error "Comctl32.dll" and when I do a search it is installed on my notebook and the techs have checked for a Hi Jack and nothing shows up.
So they are wondering if one of these recent d/l's could be the issue.

Thought that I should post this, thankyou

Edited by georgia, 14 April 2007 - 04:26 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

You're welcome, georgia.
Have you tried replacing the .dll?
comctl32.dll

What's the exact error message, you get?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:50 AM

Thx for the reply, these are the details that I get:

AppName: Iexplore.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: comctl32.dll
ModeVer: 5.82.2900.2982
offset:00014784

The "about" shows version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254

As I mentioned this problem seemed to have cropped up after a windows update. the techs have checked for Hijacks and there are none; my system is very secure and monitored by work.

Even clicking on your Link causes the notebook to create the Error and indicate that IE has encountered a problem and must close.

If I go to CP>IE Options>Advanced and uncheck third party browsers, I am able to proceed as normal.

The techs after they did the security program scans and a HJT log and there was no problem suggested that I try searching my recent windows updates and so I posted here.
This has been going on for awhile and is extremely frustrating.

The techs went in and Reset the IE web settings and I started from scratch and then added the Google Bar, with the popup bar enabled, and then I added some add ons like Easy Web print after and the problems started to occur.
With just the plain old Google Task bar there seemed to be no problem?????

I noticed when I click on a Link intermittently the pop up blocker from IE will show the dialogue in the box giving me the choice of "temporarily allowing pop ups" and I select that and then the same window reopens for me to click on the Link again, and I can't really remember if it was always a 2 step process to get the Link to open.
In the case of your Link to Comctl32.dll, there is nothing about pop ups and the IE simply encounters a problem and shuts down.

As mentioned earlier, if I go to CP>Advanced and uncheck allow 3rd party browsers that this inconsistently does allow a Link to open without a problem but a times; it will still come up with IE has encountered a problem and must close. This can be in a case like your Link in this Forum or in an Email. So unchecking that box is not a total solution either.

The techs said it is like IE is not communicating to my Outllook from Office 2003 when the Links are in an e-mail and then of course there is the problem of trying to open the Link like yours in this forum.
The techs double checked for HJT. :thumbsup: Sometimes I wonder if it is something with IE6 and Google and/or also with one of these Windows patches????

I hope that some of this information might help, thankyou.

It is frustrating to have this happen and I thought that it was resolved but it has not been.
I even went in to insure that my home page was Google and did a retype of the name, however that did not fix the issue.
There are no other oddities like sending me to another site etc. simply this issue that I described above.
I hope that yoou might have some ideas as it would be greatly appreciated, thankyou for your time.

I have googled Comctl32.dll and can't find anything and as the techs said it is installed on my notebook and it seems that the problem occurred after the patches from Windows that I listed in my earlier post. BTW, the techs checked for the presence of this .dll and it is there so??? :flowers:
Kind Regards.

Edited by georgia, 15 April 2007 - 06:10 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

A couple of things you might want to try:

Remove the Google toolbar, and see if your problem persists.

Do a repair of IE:
How to Repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express in Windows

Download that DLL I linked to, on another computer, then transfer it to yours using a floppy, or CD.

#7 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

Thankyou so very much for your interest in my issue. This morning I got a pop notice re my Java SE 6 Update 1 Release and so I read it and printed it out for my file as I do before I install anything. One item of which was the Google Tool Bar.

I did a Reboot which I usually always do even if not required and I went immediately to you Link re the Comctl32.dll that would not open before and it did and as well did others that I was previously unable to open????

Not really sure what this means and whether it will hold or not.
I will have my fingers crossed. I read all of the fixes in the printout for the Java updates, however since I am not a Tech, it was really beyond me and whether there was something there that would have fixed this problem only a techie or a conversant user would know.

Do you have any ideas of what the possibility could be????

Thankyou once again for your time, BC is a great forum with great folks that try their best always to pitch in and help and for someone like myself that is not comfortable with the technical aspect of computers and apps it is indeed appreciated. :thumbsup: Cheers.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

I don't know what it could be, georgia, but hopefully it'll stick, and your problem will be solved. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users