Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

My husband's computer is giving us a headache again. Actually, this has been a problem since we got it 13 months ago. It's a Powerspec 5500 with integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 video. Every once in a while the screen goes black for a second, and then comes back. Everything is fine, it doesn't cause an error or screw the graphics up at all, it just blinks. It's the kind of blink you would get if you had changed the display settings. But he's not changing the settings, he's just fiddling around playing games or surfing the web or whatever.

He did say he notices it more often if he's playing Bejeweled. He doesn't play many other games, but I think I remember him saying it would happen more often in other games too.

My monitor at work would blink just like this every day when the computer started up, and I have an ATI Rage Pro something or other. I uninstalled Catalyst and it stopped doing that. Uninstalling Catalyst didn't' help my husband's computer.

Unfortunately, because he decided just to live with it until this week, we are out of warranty. Any help?

Here are the full specs from Powerspec's website:

Processor: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+
System Board: ECS RS482-M754
System Memory: 256MB DDR333 SDRAM 184-pin DIMM <---we've upgraded it to 1GB
Hard Drive: 80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA <--- he also has a 120GB HD installed
CD-RW/DVD Drive: 48X/32X/48X/16X
Video: Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Sound: Integrated 6 Channel AC'97 Audio CODEC ALC655
Modem: Baudtek 56K V.92 PCI Internal Modem
LAN: Realtek Integrated 10/100 Ethernet RTL8100C Controller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

UPDATE:

So my husband had been surfing the net looking for advice on this problem. neither of us could find any advice about this specific problem, but we've both found similar issues. One suggestion he saw was to disable some "Auto detect monitor" in Catalyst. Since he doesn't have Catalyst installed, he went and downloaded it and was going to install it and give that a try. Well, it won't install. It extracts all the files, he tells it to do express install, and then he gets the following two errors:

Severe
INF error
Video driver not found

he hits OK and then gets:

Severe
Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

So he found a KB article on Microsoft's website about how to force Windows XP to use a standard VGA driver. It said to uninstall the video adapter, reboot, and when the Found New Hardware thing got going it would install a standard VGA driver. Ummm, not true, it found the ATI Radeon 200 driver and installed that. Still getting the same errors when he tries to install Catalyst.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

How To Force Windows to Use Standard VGA Compatible Driver
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

Mr Alpha

If you check out my update post, we tried that. We actually were able to get to just using the standard VGA "driver", but still couldn't install the latest version of Catalyst.

Sooooo, we tried an older version. The latest version is only available in a suite, with the drivers bundled together with Catalyst. The version just before that allows you to download Catalyst without the drivers. So we did that and were able to get it installed. Then we reinstalled the Radeon drivers, rebooted, and got into Catalyst and set it to only use manual detection for the monitor. So, now my husband is playing Bejeweled to see if it will blink again. So far he's been playing for about 20 minutes without a flicker, so hopefully that was it. I'll let y'all know!

#5 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Bad news, it still blinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users