Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Cd Install - No Prompt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:51 AM

Hello.
I have just been trying to reinstall windows XP. I have been trying to use the method insert cd, restart computer, and press enter on prompt. But I am not getting a prompt. I know nothing about BIOS except for the BIOS on this computer is AMI (4.19.01).
Can someone please help me to get the XP cd prompt to come up.

Thank you, help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:05 AM

What is the state of your hard drive?

What I mean is,

a. do you already have an os on the hard drive?
b. is the hard drive newly repartitioned/reformatted?

What you are going to have to do is go into your B.I.O.S. and set it to load from your cd. Read below if you're trying to do a clean install.

There are a few different approaches you can take to reinstall the os, but here's a simple approach to it.

(I'm using my memory on this)

1. Put your OS cd in the drive.
2. Reboot your computer, and while it's in the P.O.S.T. screen (black screen) hold the DEL key. It should take you to your B.I.O.S. screen. Your computer may be different and you may need to hit one of the F keys.
3. After you get into your B.I.O.S. you will need to make sure that the 1st boot device is set to CD-ROM, so that it starts from the cd drive.
4. Reboot
5. When the computer loads, XP will load it's window with choices to select. Choose the Install XP option.

When you choose that option, it will complain that you already have an os on the computer. You want to continue with the install.

6. It will take you to another screen showing you your partition. You will want to delete that partition. Choose that option. Then choose the option to create a partition. Then choose the option to format.

After all of that is complete, Windows will do it's thing and bring you to the option to install Windows. Choose that option.... Now, just sit back and wait for the install to complete.

That's pretty much it.

After your Windows is complete, and you're in your desktop.... reboot, and while it's rebooting, hold your DEL key (or whatever you used to get into your B.I.O.S.) and change the 1st device to load to. That's your hard drive. And put your cd\dvd on the 2nd device to load.

But remember... the Windows screens may not say the exact messages as I said, but you'll see them, and the options you have. Just remember that you want to delete the partition, recreate one, format the drive, then install the os.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

What make (and model) is your computer?

To access the boot menu, here's the keys for some common computers:

HP - Esc
Gateway/eMachines - F10
Dell - F12
Toshiba - F12
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hi.
Thanks guys for helping solve the problem, its fixed now.

Cya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users