Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Amazing Activity On This Site

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:29 AM

I, like many other contributers, visit other sites as well as this one. I have often been amazed at the activity shown here. IMy main interest, and becoming my only interest, is in Vista. I find that if I come on to these pages after a reasonably short absence, there are usually more than three pages to scan, usually with only , at most, a couple of Vista queries. I can go only too the Vista forum, I am aware of that, but that is not the point of my query.
I decided to find out just how active the site was and got some surprises. I ensured my time was syncronised with the site and set a screen refresh rate of 30 seconds. Two, at least, strange things came to light.
1. I found some postings were actually appearing before the actual time, in the worst case three minutes!
2. Again, in the worst case, one request for help appeared two minutes before the time, with 9 answers already in the thread!
Can anyone explain this phenomena - I am perplexed. A similar test on other sites does not come up with the same results, so I presume that everything on my computer checks out OK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

I have never seen that phenomena.. Can you support this with potential screenshots?

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

I, like many other contributers, visit other sites as well as this one. I have often been amazed at the activity shown here. IMy main interest, and becoming my only interest, is in Vista. I find that if I come on to these pages after a reasonably short absence, there are usually more than three pages to scan, usually with only , at most, a couple of Vista queries. I can go only too the Vista forum, I am aware of that, but that is not the point of my query.
I decided to find out just how active the site was and got some surprises. I ensured my time was syncronised with the site and set a screen refresh rate of 30 seconds. Two, at least, strange things came to light.
1. I found some postings were actually appearing before the actual time, in the worst case three minutes!
2. Again, in the worst case, one request for help appeared two minutes before the time, with 9 answers already in the thread!

Cool.

This site is so advanced, it's in the future!

Also, people helping others are on the verge of posting the answer before the question is posted!

Either that, or the hosting site's clock isn't in sync with some user's clock. But then, that's really not as amazing, is it?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

BC's forum clock is a bit "Advanced". :thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

This site reminds me of the movie I saw yesterday called Deja Vu (2006) - Starring Denzel Washington.

Events happen, then they can be replayed, and at the same time, you're looking into the past, and then you can make the past respond to the present.

Very good movie. It may be happening here. :thumbsup:

#6 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

"Can you support this with potential screenshots?"

For what purpose??

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

"Can you support this with potential screenshots?"

For what purpose??

It could help in determining the source/cause of the problem.

If taking screen shots is too much to do (in a case like this), then my best suggestion is to write down the time at the end of your posts, before hitting the Submit button. That will solve the discrepancies of the time factors, and it will definitely help with solving this time issue.

When you write down the time, make sure you do so in the post that you make.

Edited by Walkman, 14 April 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:39 AM

UHhh yeah. Did that been there. Sorry but I covered my tracks.After 25 years of intensive use of computers, I am not looking for problems with my computer- I guess you mean "Add Reply" by Submit.
I have a pretty good idea as to why it is happening, I was looking for some suggestions from persons who have noticed the same things.

P.S. A little later. I should pont out, I am complimenting the site on it's popularity, not tech problem shooting.
Example now. From 0730 am (my time) to 0740. 12 postings, 9 from "new members" and already 14 answers!!!!!

Edited by uhaligani, 15 April 2007 - 12:53 AM.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:42 AM

When you say that there are already 14 or so replies, could this be that the thread was started for example two days ago and when you signed in it shows you the topics with new posts added?
Regards,

Alan.

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:05 AM

uhaligani - maybe my little joke in post #4 past by you?

The BC forum clock is off/fast as of this post by nearly 2 minutes and 16 seconds according to the USA atomic clocks.

Grinler resets the BC clock when he gets around to it.

That's the anomaly you are seeing.

//Edit: As to the numbers of posts and responses that occur in any ten minute time frame is totally dependent on the number of members active on the forum at any time. Some forums draw more responses quicker than others, depending on the interests, etc.

Edited by KoanYorel, 16 April 2007 - 02:12 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

The BC forum clock is off/fast as of this post by nearly 2 minutes and 16 seconds according to the USA atomic clocks.

Grinler resets the BC clock when he gets around to it.

Maybe we should get those Atomic Clock folks to correct their time to match ours.

Anything to save Grinler some work.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

We're just that eager to help. Some of us stay up for 24 hrs at a time and help people (actually Ive been cleaning house and using BC as a way to take a break every couple of hours).

Posted Image

#13 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The Clock thing seems to be the explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users