Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Meme

Meme

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a question. I am wanting to do a little cleaning. I downloaded something to clean out junk files but want to clean out my registry of invalid entries and gunk. Problem is, I know nothing. I wouldn't know how to read the thing to see if there is anything I need to keep. The thing I downloaded called Advanced System Cleaner found over 800 pieces of junk. But it may not all be junk. Know anything that is safe enough? Of course I back up the registry in case but I am still afraid. :thumbsup: Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:44 PM

This looks to be a pretty new release from YanicSoft (Released on Dec. 28, 2004) so there's not a lot of information on the reviews of the software.

It does say that there's a way to create a backup before making any changes inside Advanced System Cleaner. I would suggest that you definately do that. After making the backup, run the application and if there are any bad effects to your computer, you can always restore the registry.
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#3 Meme

Meme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for responding friend. I did back it up the first time I used it but was just too scared to delete much. I will do it again and take a deep breath and go for it! Thanks again!

#4 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

The safest registry-cleaner I've seen is the 'Ace Utilities'. In default mode, this utility uses an exclusion list of registry entries that might damage your system. The 30-day trial is fully functional with all features of the purchased program.

The program will prompt you to set a restore point BEFORE cleaning - and any removed registry items are easily restored by obvious menu item.

My favorite free utility is JV16 Power Tools - but it is not safe to simply accept all sugested registry-removal items.

Both programs have many other functions and both are excellent utilities.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users