Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xerox Printer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tdct

tdct

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

I have Xerox P12 laser printer, when I turn the printer on to use, it turns my computer off and then on again and then the same thing when I select to print. I cannot print with this printer at all on this computer. I use Win XP pro. The printer is connected on LPT 1 port.
The printer used to work OK for 2 yrs or so on this computer, at first, what I have noticed is that the printer beeped when turned on, but it didn't knock-off computer connection and then suddenly it started to do the rebooting.
This printer still works OK on my Old computer, that it was originally connected to.
Xerox tell me they dodn't support this type of printer any more and there is no new drivers for it.
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thank you,
tdtc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

tdct: A bit of a strange issue...Is the printer sharing the same AC outlet as your computer. To me, it almost sounds like you are having a power issue. If you can, try moving the printer to another/separate AC outlet to see if that helps.

Getting away from a potential power issue...I went to the Xerox site, as you mentioned, there are NO drivers that are available for Windows XP. You mentioned that it worked 2 years ago...was that under Windows XP, or any operating system?(OS)

Under Start, Printer and Fax, what is listed for your printer?
JC

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

Just to note...it appears that the driver for this printer is included in Windows XP.

A List of Printer Drivers That Are Included in Windows XP (Article 5 of 5)
JC

#4 tdct

tdct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

JC: Thks for your input. In Control panel under printers I have Amyumi Document converter (I don't know what that is!) Canon i850 (the one I use now) Microsoft office Document Image, Mighty Fax Printer Diver, Family Tree Maker. The Xerox P12 printer is uninstalled.
I checked under Win XP printer drivers, my printer is listed, what does it mean for me?
My Xerox P12 printer is connected to different outlet than my computer, but it is in the same room. I will have to get three prong extension cord and run printer connection from a different room in the house.
When this printer was running OK on the computer, I use now, it was the same O/S Win XP pro.
My problem started when I moved my office from downstairs to upstairs, about a year ago or so, but like I said the printer was working Ok at the beginning for a while.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

If the printer is not listed, you will have to add it using the Add Printer Wizard.
Follow the steps below:

Click Start
Click Printers and Faxes
From Printer Tasks(on the top left-hand side of your screen), click Add a Printer
The Add Printer Wizard windows will appear. Click Next
Under Select the option that describes the printer you want to use:
Click Local printer attached to this computer. Uncheck the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer
Click Next
Ensure Use the following port: is set to LPT:(Recommended Printer Port)
Click Next
From the left-hand side list that is titled Manufacturer, select Xerox
From the right-hand side list that is titled Printers, select Xerox DocuPrint P12
Click Next
Under the Name Your Printer window, select a name(you can keep the predefined name), decide if want this printer to be your default printer by selecting Yes or No
Click Next
Click Yes to print a test page. Click Next
Click Finish
Click OK after the test page has been printed.

Let us know how you made out with my suggestions.

Hope that helps.
JC

#6 tdct

tdct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

Hi JC:
When I followed your install instructions on LPT1 port, I got this message "unable to install Printer. Operation could not be completed"
I retried and succeeded to install Xerox printer on LPT2, it shows in Printers/faxes panel, but nothing will print.
I think my problem is with "Amyuni document converter for Family Tree" that is in LPT1 port.
How do I remove "Amyuni..." from LPT1 port so I can install Xerox into it, without removing LPT1 port from my computer? I don't know if that would be possible (removing LPT1), but I don't want to try without knowing for sure.
So far I have solved electrical disconnect to my computer, by pluging in the printer into different part of the house, it must have been overload in the office room.
Thank you again

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

I am glad you were able to solve part of the issue. Power issues can be a real pain.
You should be able to highlight and delete(with the delete key) the "Amyuni document converter for Family Tree" from the Printers and Faxes folder.

Try that to see if it fixes your issue.

If it is a simple as that, great. If not, I will think of another solution.
JC

#8 tdct

tdct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

JC:
I renamed "Amyuni.." printer to Xerox and reinstalled Xerox P12 again on LPT1 port... and it works great!!
I still have to figure out how I am going to keep Xerox P12 pluged.. way across the hallway, with long cord, I guess.
thank you and have a nice Sunday evening.
tdct

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

Great! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:
Whatever you do about the power issue, just make sure you have your computer connected to a good surge protector.(or a UPS) I always prefer to have my computer on a separate circuit than anything else in the room.

Take care. :huh:

Edited by Joshuacat, 15 April 2007 - 05:44 PM.

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users