Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi, while surfing I sometimes get the message "you need Java to view this", and it directs me to a Microsoft page for 'more information'.
But its all gobbleydegook to a PC illegitimate moron like me, it talks of needing a 'Java Machine' whatever one of them is?
Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

To run Java on your computer, you need to install a special program (called a "virtual machine") from Sun Microsystems (the people who made Java). You can get it at Sun Microsystems.

If you want to know what a virtual machine is, you better google it. I know something about it, but I still can't explain it.

Edited by madman6510, 13 April 2007 - 11:02 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

Java is one of the most pervasive programming languages on the internet; its popularity is caused by its cross-platform applications, relative ease of coding, and its ability to be run from browsers. Applets (think of them as mini-programmes) are used for all sorts of things, from chatrooms to games.
You need to download and install the latest version of JavaRuntimeEnvironment from Sun at the link kindly provided by Madman6510; this will allow you to install and use Java applets.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users