Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Entries In My Network Places

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marlajm

marlajm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

I was working and all of a sudden the "My Network Places" folder opens on the screen. It has some weird entries, ones I never remembered ever putting in there. In fact, I can't recall ever looking in that folder before. I have a desktop and my daughter has a laptop. We have a router so she can reach the internet through her wireless connection which configured automatically. In My Network Places there are entries for Dubrovnik, Italy, and such.

What's up?

Many thanks,
Marla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:43 PM

Have you tried running virus and spyware scans? Those entries may be added by malicous software.

#3 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:40 PM

I have run a ton. I have been through it quite extensively with lots of good help and plan to reformat after a couple of projects although I suspect I need a new computer. Meanwhile, I am trying to stay as clean as I can. These are peculiar entries. I also noticed in the registry, under telephony, there are cards for lots of foreign countries. Perhaps these are standard but I have never used this on dialup.

How did these entries get there? Can I just delete them? Is there someway to backtrack from them and see how they got there? So, if I didn't add them, someone else did?

Thanks,
Marla

Edited by marlajm, 13 April 2007 - 11:43 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

Hello,

My network places has the ability to add used entries and scan for shares available on the network.
It is possible these shared locations are on another system on your network, it could also be that someone has accessed your network and your system has located its shared resources. How secure is the wireless network?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I am not sure how secure. I have checked ports and stuff online and it seems safe but I am not that saavy about this aspect of computing. I am on a cable modem and I have a wireless router. My daughter has a wireless laptop and the only other computer on this network is my desktop.

I don't know much about wireless networks but I know neither of us has networked with any other computer, ever. And, we don't access each other's computers remotely; we don't know how to do that.

My daughter uses her computer for facebook and itunes and doesn't really use it all that much.

I have had trouble with my computer despite having lots of protection and frequent scanning. In fact, something just flew by a moment ago, a medium sized white screen, but I couldn't read it--there was no time to even see. I checked Zone Alarm, but I couldn't see anything new.

The house next door has a wireless network but nothing on My Network Places seems like anything they would have and I am not aware of anything happening between our networks.

Marla

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

You could try this tool, http://www.networkmagic.com/ it should help you set up the network and add security to it.

Also, what AV are you using?

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#7 marlajm

marlajm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

I am using Kaspersky Active Virus Shield; I used to use McAfee. I also have AVG, Susperantispyware, and scan with Adaware and Spybot. I also use CCleaner quite regularly. I have scanned online with numerous tools. I also have scanned on here with Gmer, Asquared Hijack, Hijackthis, combo, and Icesword. Still strange things occur which is why I will reinstall at the very least. I just can't do that for a bit because of projects I need to finish. I also want to be as clean as I can because I don't want to reinfect during reinstall.

Where do you think those files came from? Should I delete them?

Thanks,
Marla

#8 Nebon

Nebon

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Do you run an unsecured wireless network?

#9 rubia126

rubia126

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:43 AM

hi

well i guess this is serious problem once i had same kind of problem and steal of data occurs then www.infolocktech.com helps me out ithink u should take seriously some steps for this

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users