Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JosephW1993

JosephW1993

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

Does Vista come with more archive features? I use 7-Zip for XP but would I still need it on Vista and will it work if I need it.

Will these programs work:

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal
SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
CCleaner
Google Earth
Google Gmail Notifier
Netscape Browser 8.1.3
Opera
Rainlendar 2
If they won't work what are good ones to use instead.

I was doing some research and Trend Micro has come out with Hijack this v2. It says it will work with Vista will it still do the same as 1.99.1 though?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

I use the built in archiver without issues. Dunno about the differences in HJT - I'd suppose that there are significant differences since they advanced to 2.0 - but check in the HJT forums for more info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

Hello

The programs you have listed should work, except for rainlendar 2. it was not mentioned on the list.

here is a list of programs that have been found to work on vista http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...lls_.2F_IDS.27s
here is a list of free software replacements for commercial apps http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...on+replacements

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:18 AM

Hi Alendar. I'm just going to leave you the official responses from the software makers as people are using some of them with Vista and putting up with the little problems that may arise.

Adaware SE personal: Lavasoft does not "officialy" support this version on Vista and has no plans to.
Adaware 2007 (currently in Beta 5) will replace it and will be fully Vista compatable.

SpywareBlaster 3.5.1: Bugs remain that prevent certain functions of this version from running in Vista due to digital file signature issues. They will be fixed in the next version.

CCleaner: Yes

Netscape 8.1.3: No, though some Vista users do have it installed with little or no problems. There are plug-in issues not yet resolved however.

Opera 9.20: Yes

Rainlendar 2: Yes, though cannot be added to the Vista sidebar. Author states a complete re-write of the program would be required and he's not going to do it.

Skype 3.1: No

Google Earth: Yes

Google Gmail Notifier: Yes (edited)

If they won't work what are good ones to use instead.

I personally cannot help you there as my Vista system is on a government owned laptop and we are not allowed to install unauthorized software. :huh:

Edited by HitSquad, 14 April 2007 - 06:51 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

I use PopPeeper on my Vista systems and it works fairly well with gMail (an occasional error with not clearing the downloads results in an error being displayed - but nothing weird happens with the email).

http://www.poppeeper.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JosephW1993

JosephW1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

Ok, thanks.

Google Gmail Notifier: Yes (edited)

What does edited mean?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

Probably means it used to say "No", then was edited to say "Yes".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users