Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

Lol, Okay, I bought two sticks of 512MB DDR PC3200 (PC2100 Compatible) PNY Optima Memory, I put the two sticks in, after taking out my one 256MB stick. (I noticed that the PNY Sticks had an even amount of black chips on them, the 256MB stick had an odd number.) Okay, I shut the case, plugged it in, and I turned it on. no screen, and three long beeps.

I powered it down, and I opened it back up, took out one stick, and put in the original 256MB stick. It booted. Somewhat faster than before, I could tell. I looked at CPUZ and it was able to recognize the extra ram.

After that, I powered down again, opened, replaced the 256MB stick with the 512MB. It did that black screen and three long beeps.... OKAY, I'm mad now... Lol. I did switch the sticks (512MB) to check if it was one of them was broken or something... they were not. So after pulling out one of the new sticks and replacing it with the old one. I went into the BIOS, and I looked around at the Advanced Settings. I changed some of the SDRAM settings from "100MHz" to "Auto".

It still did the black screen with three beeps..........

Any help?

EDIT: Further inspections...

I took out the 256MB stick, and just left the 512MB Stick, and it looks like it won't turn on with out the PC2100.

I'm guessing that the new PC3200 Sticks will not work without the PC2100 stick to copy it's speed from, so in that case, I believe I must return the two sticks for 1GB of 2100-3200 and input that with the 256MB.

Am I right? or is there some other possibility?

Edited by JoshT, 13 April 2007 - 08:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

Well I see it's an Intel mobo. Do you have a model #?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

I believe your problem is your motherboard only supports pc2100 ram. When you put the pc3200 stick in with it it clocks down to the pc2100 speed also. If you don't have your older stick of pc2100 in the sticks don't clock down and your motherboard can't support them. Hope this makes sense.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

@Garmanma
It's a PC Chips M920.

@Sterling
Yes That is what I figured out... and I also bought this ram from Best Buy *sniffs*...

I might just have to trade my two 512MB sticks for one 1GB stick, and If I do that, I might want to find a PC2100 stick, for future thinking.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

CAS Timing again pc2100 is 2.5. pc3200 is 3.0, dual channel 3200 is 2.5. this should work in your board. Not all boards time correctly with the incorrect speed in the board Crucial lists the best type of ram for your board as PC2700, and shows support for 2 gig max.

Edited by oldf@rt, 13 April 2007 - 09:24 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:22 PM

Well, I just returned the two 512MB sticks, and bought a 1GB PC3200 stick....

I see a little bit more of a difference, but I had hoped it would immensely speed up the computer.

But thanks for all your helpfulness guys.
-JoshT

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

Ya you'll notice things will load a few seconds sooner, but its mainly your processor doing the work ( I believe).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

Hmm, I wonder how I would speed up my old socket 423 P4.

-JoshT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users