Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amandajt

amandajt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hi :-)

I have had huge problems with my mainframe PC on my network. It happened in a sequence over a week.

Firstly, everytime I tried to reboot it, the monitor screen would switch off and the computer lights were on, the only way to get the screen working was to pull the power and then turn the PC back on.

The next problem was as it was loading windows it would start to lockup, at all different stages, sometimes I could get it to load completely then it would lock, other times it would lock as soon as I started doing something.

For a couple of days I could get it to boot into safe mode and run some scans and in safe mode there were no freezing and locking up problems.

Now it boots up but the monitor is acting like its not working, lights are all on but noone is home ,the pc but the monitor seems to be on sleep mode. Ive tried everything to get it to work. Ive checked the monitor on another PC and no problem.

Another problem was when it was working, i tried system restore but it wouldnt work. I had installed Norton 360 and it seemed my problems all started escalating after that, so i tried restoring to an earlier time and it wouldnt allow it.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

The best advice I can give you at this point would be to reinstall whatever version of Windows you placed on the machine. If you happen to be unfortunate enough and have not made backups, try running a Linux Live CD and copy the data to a FAT formatted external drive.

#3 amandajt

amandajt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:19 PM

In other words investing in a nice big fat sledgehammer might be a solution lol :thumbsup:

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

Do you get the bios screen, or does the monitor just stay off? Even though you just installed Norton, from your description there is some other problem.

Edited by oldf@rt, 13 April 2007 - 11:24 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 amandajt

amandajt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

I get no screen at all, the monitor acts like its on standby.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

Try this: unplug the computer, push down and hold the computer power switch in for 2 (two) minutes.

--not the power switch on the power supply, just the one on the front of the computer.

re plug the computer in and then try to restart.

#7 amandajt

amandajt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:37 AM

I tried the power button thing but still nothing, something seems to of disabled the screen from running and Ive tried another screen with the same thing happening. Im wondering whether its a virus or if something has burned out. I will have to send it to the little chinese man down the road and see if he can sort it out or atleast save some of my data from it. Thanks for all your help , much appreciated.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

If you have not taken the computer in yet, open the case, and see if the stand by led is glowing. If it is not, your power supply is probably gone and needs replacement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users