Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp - Home Directories Not Mapping Properly - Mapping To Parent Directory (domain's Users Directory)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hotshot309

hotshot309

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

We have a mixed-mode domain (Windows Server 2003 is our primary domain controller/Exchange server where Active Directory administration is executed). We have users' home directories mapping using built-in AD functionality to map a home directory (not via a login script). We set it up by going to Active Directory Users and Computers | User Name | Properties | Profile | Home folder. We have drive H: set up to connect to \\fileserver\users\username, which is each user's home folder.

Regularly, for users of Windows XP only, we see this folder being mapped to \\fileserver\users during some Windows sessions, which non-network administrators cannot access. As a result, they see "Access Denied" when trying to go into their H: drives. This poses a problem for saving and accessing files but also because we have WordPerfect's backup folder set to the user's H: drive, and when WordPerfect can't find it, it tells the user their backup folder can't exist, which makes people wonder why they are getting an error message and what to do.

When this happens, I can go into ADUC and check the user's profile and see that their home folder is supposedly still pointed at the right place. However, when actually mapping, it mismaps to the parent directory. I would say this happens once every two weeks for me, or perhaps more often for some users. I wrote a little batch file to unmap drive H: and remap it properly that each user can run if they need to, but once in a while, the batch file fails (and, this is just annoying).

Does anyone know of a solution or why this happens?

Thanks a lot,
Hotshot309

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

Try mapping the network drive on the user's computer via the command prompt, and then setting the /persistent flag to yes.

For example:

Log in as the end user on their Windows XP workstation. Open My Computer and disconnect the H:\ drive so that it goes offline and disappears from the My Computer window.
Open up the Command Prompt.
Map the network drive via the command prompt using the following commands:

net use h: \\fileserver\users\%username%

Then press [Enter] and wait for the command prompt to confirm success. Next set the /persistent switch for the mapped network drives.

net use /persistent:yes

Then press [Enter] and wait for the command prompt to confirm success. Open My Computer and confirm that the mapped home drive reference has been created. Restart the computer and check it again. If it switches out, there may be a script that is running at login or some other setting that is being pushed out via Group Policy that is interfering with the network drive mappings.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 itfc

itfc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

I don't suppose the OP ever found a fix for this as we have recently started to experience the exact same problem.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users