Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Timed Restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Klinefelter

Klinefelter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

PROBLEM-
I boot up my computer and everything goes fine until I get to the login screen. It does not matter if I log in or not, I get the same result. About 10 seconds from the moment the login screen appears, my computer restarts. I have NO idea what might be causing the problem.

THINGS I'VE TRIED
So far, I've tried going into Safe Mode, and it does the same thing. In fact, EVERY mode does this except one. The one mode that works is "Start up Windows with last known good configuration." While this DOES temporarily solve my restart problem, if I try to log in, some error screen comes up and says something along the lines of the file is dirty, and after it completes, the computer starts up again and commences to restart like it was doing before. I figured that if I couldn't get my computer to work, I would just take out my Hard Drive and put it into my dad's computer which works just fine. I put everything in as it goes and, to my horror, the restarting is STILL there! Well, I keep a grip on myself and figure that I really don't care about my computer, I just want my data. So I figure I'll just make my Hard Drive the Slave to my dad's hard drive, so that I can access and backup my stuff. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to access my saved files (that's a different problem), so now I have no idea what I'm to do. The only thing I haven't tried is taking my C.D.s to it and re-installing Windows.

Any solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Have you checked the bios to see if you have the automatic restart option on? I know my computer has the option to set it to automatically turn off after a set amount of time.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hi, Klinefelter, welcome to Bleeping Computer!

If you have the CD's (I think you said you did) and if your computer runs Windows XP, then perhaps there is hope.

It sounds like maybe (just maybe) there's a problem here that can be resolved from the XP Recovery Console. Read this Microsoft Article on how to access the recovery console.

Once in the Recovery Console, type chkdsk C: /p /r to perform an exhaustive check of your hard drive's integrity. THis can take quite a while, so make yourself some hot chocolate and turn the TV on.

Once chkdsk completes, remove the CD and reboot.

Post back as to whether that solves the problem. Or if you are not running Windows XP then let us know! As a matter of fact, post all your system specs (Windows version, model of computer, etc.)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 13 April 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#4 Klinefelter

Klinefelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Actually, this past weekend I tried the recovery console, and had NO idea how to work it. So, I decided to bite the bullet and just re-format the whole thing and now, at the cost of my data, my computer is working again. I'll keep this information for when my computer breaks down again, though.

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users