Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Not Saving Bookmarks Correctly.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nekoyasha

Nekoyasha

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

When I try to save a bookmark in Firefox it will save it if I push OK, but it will be blank in the list, but not only that the "Add Bookmark" window will stay open and the name will have disappeared in the "Name:" section. The only way to put the name there is to make up another name and then type it in the blank box and then push OK for the box to disappear. Did I change some options in Firefox?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 April 2007 - 09:19 PM.

I thank all who help me and beforehand I would like to say forgive me if I ask some stupid question. It happens to me a lot and I usually just need someone to say the obvious to me. Although I still live by my motto
"What I say is sealed in my words." or a variant of that. (I have it written down, trust me.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keithy397

keithy397

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

Try opening your bookmarks in the side bar and ensure the main bookmarks folder is situated at the top of the tree. If it isn't, you can drag and drop it at the top.
Cheers

Keith

#3 Nekoyasha

Nekoyasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

That has been done and yet bookmarks are still not saving correctly.
I thank all who help me and beforehand I would like to say forgive me if I ask some stupid question. It happens to me a lot and I usually just need someone to say the obvious to me. Although I still live by my motto
"What I say is sealed in my words." or a variant of that. (I have it written down, trust me.)

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

Have you tried reinstalling Firefox?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Nekoyasha

Nekoyasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

No, I was just simply hoping that I wouldn't have to do that so I could keep my add-ons and bookmarks.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

You won't loose any of your settings, or bookmarks.
Those are stored in a different folder, that is not removed with a simple uninstall.

Delete Firefox using Add or Remove Programs.
Go to C: / Program Files, and delete the Mozilla Firefox folder.
Download a fresh copy of Firefox.
Now, reinstall Firefox.

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of, would be a complete uninstall/reinstall.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Nekoyasha

Nekoyasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

I completely un-installed Firefox and then got on Internet Explorer and reinstalled it. I still have the bookmark saving problem. I can only save a bookmark if I retype or type something different in the box for the name.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

Have you tried using Firefox in Safe Mode?
Its startup mode where all the extensions you have installed are disabled and the default theme is used.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 Peng33

Peng33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hi Nekoyasha,

this problem is usually caused by a corrupt localstore.rdf file in your profile (i've had it a few times myself).

Close Firefox and navigate to your profile description (usually in
<C:/Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/[profilename]>).
Delete the "localstore.rdf" file then restart Firefox, it will then generate a fresh "localstore.rdf" file from the copy
held within the program files, and you should be back in business.

Edited by Peng33, 29 April 2007 - 06:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users