Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hightest Rez For Gaming?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mobusta

mobusta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

So I just bought an sapphire x1950 512mb (mostly just for gaming) and I had a couple of a questions.

1) My PSU is a 300watt and the required is at least 450watt with 30amps on a 12V rail. Is it really that bad that Im using a 300watt (i.e. do i have a chance of burn out)? If that is the case can someone post some links where I can buy it?

2) The monitor I have hooked up is a 19inch flat panel vga. I have hooked up through the dvi to vga adaptor and while it works fine if you look closely you can see wavy lines going through the monitor horizontally which are very subtle. Im guessing its cause of the adaptor. Which is why i want to upgrade I was thinking about either:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-4688

which is a 20.1 inch 1680X1050 max rez and it has dvi, s-video.

or this one:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-5123

this one is same size same rez but only does dvi.

(or if you guys find a better monitor with at least 21inch and does 1680x1050 or 1920x1080)

Now my question is which is the best dvi, s-video or component?

3) and last question (sorry for making it sucha long read) with the video card that i have (and a p4 3.2 with 2 gig ram) will I even be able to play games at 1680x1050 with maxing out every option. I play 12 something by 10 something fine. What about 1920 1080 ?

Edited by mobusta, 13 April 2007 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'm not a video expert, but you should have the right size PSU. If you don't you will run into problems. My video was jumpy and games shut down on me until I got the right size PSU. I heard dvi is the better way to go, and personally, I would get the less expensive monitor. I don't like spending lots of money on stuff that's obsolete in a year or less. :thumbsup:

edit: missed a word....

Edited by Wildabeast, 18 April 2007 - 12:29 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:26 AM

The power supply requirement isn't really a requirement, but a recommendation. What you actually need depends on what else you've got in the computer, and on which graphics card you have.

To be able to play at 1920x1080 depends on which graphics card you have. You only gave part of the name. If you got say the x1950xtx you're fine, but if you got the x1950pro you may have problems on newer games. 1280x1024 is only 1.3 MP while 1920X1080 is 2 MP which is quite a jump.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

If you're going to buy a new monitor, I highly encourage you to look somewhere other than Dell. I've got nothing against them, but you probably will find better prices/quality elsewhere. Try newegg.com or amazon.com.

Yeah, the power supply stuff is really subjective. Frankly, you get what you pay for. I have a 80 dollar 350 watt power supply which is way more stable and puts out more/better power than a 50 dollar 400 watt. If you start freezing up, get a new one, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Under powering your parts [usually] won't hurt them (you'll just get freezes), unless the cooling goes. That's a whole other issue.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users