Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Kaspersky Questions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

1. What is the difference between Kaspersky Antivirus and the free AOL Antivirus Shield? I know that both use the Kaspersky scanning engine but what is the difference between the two? Does the free AOL version provide the same protection just with less options?

2. Those who have Kaspersky, do you leave Proactive Defense on? It started giving me warnings that svchost.exe and other typical processes were dangerous because they linked to other processes. It was quite annoying. Is Proactive Defense truly useful, or is it more of a hindrance?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

From what i've read AOL is indeed a watered down version of KAV.To answer your question on Proactive Defense I have mine running and I'm using KIS6.I haven't messed with any settings in my suite only set my web antivirus to high. :thumbsup:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:33 AM

Active Virus Shield is Kaspersky based and IMO a more effective anti-virus than many others. Read "And The Best Antivirus Is…."
1. Kaspersky version 6.0.0.303 - 99.62%
2. Active Virus Shield by AOL version 6.0.0.299 - 99.62%

These types of comparative results will vary depending on who is doing the comparison testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is beging tested, etc.

You don't want to install the AOL security toolbar because it has adware functionality and has a tendency to freeze the browser. See the reviews here and here.

For more info, see Kaspersky Knowledge base and FAQ: What is Active Virus Shield and Active Virus Shield FAQs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Righto thanks for the info :thumbsup:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users