Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned Hard Drive Oops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tjtucker

tjtucker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:46 AM

I received an old computer that wasn't working from my boss. Apparently, the hard drive had been partitioned & someone had tried to format the C drive. Naturally, it freaks out when you try to start it now. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this without having to pay $150 to a comp tech?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:35 AM

tjtucker: I'm not going to be able to help with this, but those that can help will want to know a lot more about what you have there in the way of hardware, operating system, etc. The more info you can provide will speed assistance. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 tjtucker

tjtucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:57 PM

It's a Gateway computer with a Pentium II running Windows XP. If there's anything else that someone would need to know about it, please ask. I'm not a computer guru by any means, so I'm not really sure what anyone needs to know. But thanks for trying! I really appreciate any feedback on this.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:17 PM

Does it boot? What error messages are you getting?

At the very least you need the XP CD that programmed it but I don't think you'll get that from your boss unless its a Gateway restore CD. If it won't boot you'll have to reprogram it. Do you have an operating system you can put on it?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:44 PM

I would have to agree that reinstalling the OS would be the next step. In most cases, it will re-partition the HD for you.

Another route would be simply to purchase another hd. They can be inexpensive, but you would still have to buy Windows full version.

Either way, when you look for the software, you will see an upgraded version of Windows. This is the one that you do not want. The price for it will be around $200.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:09 AM

It's a Gateway computer with a Pentium II running Windows XP.  If there's anything else that someone would need to know about it, please ask.  I'm not a computer guru by any means, so I'm not really sure what anyone needs to know.  But thanks for trying!  I really appreciate any feedback on this.

Well for starters, I think P II is little light for XP so I'd try Win. 98SE.. Pentium II was ment for Win. 95, but it will work fine with 98 (little slower if you don't have sufficient memory)
So first I'd get rid of all partititions, and make new one than format and install 98 on it. If you can get cheap 98SE somewhere do it.. Maybe your boss have one but ain't using it.
If you need walk trough on how to do what I just said, let me/us know.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users