Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspected Virus And Internet Problems.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RoboJoe

RoboJoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hello.

A couple days ago I noticed my computer acting strange, in that internet browsing was odd as my web browser would randomly stop responding acting liek it was offline, however some things like MSN or IRC would still work.
Other times MSN or IRC would not work, it was just seemingly random.

I did some spyware and virus scans and came up with a file called "msnetex.dll" which was removed.
However, after that was done my internet was completely dead. I could log on to the internet, but everything acted like it was offline.

I did some digging around and found out about a program call LSPfix, so I installed and ran it.
This put the "msnetex.dll" file back and caused the orignal problems.
After a bought of virus scanning and spyware removing I could get rid of this file and run the internet.

The problem is now I am stuck with the internet running slow on websites and randomly cutting out certain programs and also much higher internet activity than usual, no matter how many antivirus or spyware checks I do on my system nothing can be detected.

Something has to be there though as today I installed a Firewall (Zonealarm) and that is detected Explorer.exe spamming out emails.

I cannot find anything wrong with my system but something is clearly wrong, and apart from formatting my main HDD with windows (and hoping the virus doesn't stay on my backup drives, considering I cant detect it) I have no idea what to do.
I may try just reinstalling windows and seeing if that helps first.

Any advice possible would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RoboJoe, 13 April 2007 - 08:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

See this link for information about Explorer.exe. It is not to be confused with the legitimate Microsoft file C:\Windows\explorer.exe.

You need to find out where this Explorer.exe lives on your hard drive. Does it show up in Task Manager?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum by following the instructions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 RoboJoe

RoboJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

According to Zonealarm the explorer.exe is in:
C:\WINDOWS
Which I presume would make it C:\windows\explorer.exe

This is definitely the one sending out emails.

I shall upload my HijackThis log asap.

EDIT:
HijackThis log is now at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88513/troubled-internet-access-and-explorerexe-sending-emails/

Edited by RoboJoe, 13 April 2007 - 09:26 AM.

#5 RoboJoe

RoboJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Well, I went ahead and reinstalled windows, and for now that seems to have worked.
Explorer.exe isn't trying to send emails as far as I can tell (Zonealarm isn't giving me any alarters nor is my internet activity abnormal.)
So I think I'm in the clear unless my internet starts buggering up like it was doing.

Quite frankly I'm too tired of fiddling around with my PC, will do some virus scans and some spywqare scans to make sure, but I'm going to leave it running and see if anything strange happens.

However, any advice or tips that someone could offer that was relevant to my problems I would still appreciate.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

In order to give some sound advice can you tell us what you have on antivirus- and antispyware software?

#7 RoboJoe

RoboJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

Sure.

For anti-virus programs I have used Nod32 and AVG antivirus.
For spyware removal programs I've used Spybot and Ad-aware.

Everything has been updated to the latest versions and all latest definitions, etc.

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

Hi RoboJoe,

I closed your HJT topic since you have reloaded Windows. You may continue to follow this thread with its suggestions. If you continue to have problems, please post another log.

One note please... If you do post another HJT log, please follow ONLY the advice of the HJT team member that assists you. Doing otherwise can cause problems and delay the cleaning of your computer.

Take care RoboJoe.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

RoboJoe, you should not have 2 anti-virus programs running on your computer at the same time. If you do they tend to fight against each other and actually leave you less protected than if you only have one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 RoboJoe

RoboJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

Ye, I dont have 2 anymore, was running a variety of them trying to figure out what virus I had on my system.
Still havent found out, but it seems ok now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users