Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Spool Stopped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 keitht70

keitht70

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

i have been trying to install a new printer for 2 days now should be easy but it's been a nightmare when i run the istall disk that came with the printer it tells me print spool has stopped and needs to be restarted when i click ok it kicks me from install i tried to restart it manualy but i get an error message that says denied error 5 so i went to microsofts suport page and found this

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32, and then click OK.

Note %windir% represents the folder where Windows is installed.
2. Right-click the spoolsv file, and then click Rename.
3. Type oldspool, and then press ENTER.
4. Insert the Windows XP disk in the computer's CD or DVD drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation from starting automatically.
5. Click Start, click Run, type expand CD drive:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe, and then click OK.

Notes• Make sure that there is a character space between "spoolsv.ex_" and "%windir%."
• CD drive represents the drive letter of the CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP disk. For example, if the letter of the CD or DVD drive is E, type the following, and then click OK:
expand E:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe

6. Restart the computer.

that sounds easy enough but when i try to change the spoolsv file name i get another error message thats says the file is in use by another person or program im the only person logged onto this computer and i have tried restarting and even restarting in safemode but always get the same error when i try to rename the file.can anyone help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

Something is using the spool service and you'll have to figure out what it is before being able to install the printer.

I'd suggest going to the Processes tab of Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and ending the processes there until you're able to install. Don't end the svchost.exe processes until last - as some of them will shutdown your system.

In the event that the system does give you the 1 minute countdown to shutdown - go to Start...Run...and type in "shutdown -a" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will stop the automatic shutdown.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

Also, is this a USB printer? Did you check the instructions on installing? On mine you need to install the software before hooking up the printer. Just thought I'd add
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 keitht70

keitht70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

well i tried ending processes in the Task Manager until i was down to just 9 processes that all said "crital system process can not shut down" and still got file is in use message when i tried to change spoolsv file name

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

Could be that your Windows installation is damaged. Try these 2 things:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Repair install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:21 AM

Have you tried restarting the service?

Go to Start then Run type services.msc scroll down the list look for print spooler, make sure it is started.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Have you tried changing the file name in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 keitht70

keitht70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

thankyou the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW worked everything is working fine now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users