Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:47 AM
i have been trying to install a new printer for 2 days now should be easy but it's been a nightmare when i run the istall disk that came with the printer it tells me print spool has stopped and needs to be restarted when i click ok it kicks me from install i tried to restart it manualy but i get an error message that says denied error 5 so i went to microsofts suport page and found this
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32, and then click OK.
Note %windir% represents the folder where Windows is installed.
2. Right-click the spoolsv file, and then click Rename.
3. Type oldspool, and then press ENTER.
4. Insert the Windows XP disk in the computer's CD or DVD drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation from starting automatically.
5. Click Start, click Run, type expand CD drive:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe, and then click OK.
Notes• Make sure that there is a character space between "spoolsv.ex_" and "%windir%."
• CD drive represents the drive letter of the CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP disk. For example, if the letter of the CD or DVD drive is E, type the following, and then click OK:
expand E:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe
6. Restart the computer.
that sounds easy enough but when i try to change the spoolsv file name i get another error message thats says the file is in use by another person or program im the only person logged onto this computer and i have tried restarting and even restarting in safemode but always get the same error when i try to rename the file.can anyone help please