Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Database-autoruns-confusion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nweissma

nweissma

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

this comes from the windows startup program database:

This is a valid program but it is not required to run on startup.

This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources. The following information is a brief description of what is known about this file. If you require further assistance for this file, feel free to ask about in the forums.
Name: nwiz
Filename: nwiz.exe
Command: nwiz.exe /install
Description: Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to immensely improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system
File Location: %System%
Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.
HijackThis Category: O4 Entry
Note: %System% is a variable that refers to the Windows System folder. By default this is C:\Windows\System for Windows 95/98/ME, C:\Winnt\System32 for Windows NT/2000, or C:\Windows\System32 for Windows XP.

This entry has been requested 13307 times.

can someone tell me how to interpret this?

This is a valid program but it is not required to run on startup.

This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources.

• if this is not required at bootup, and it is desireable that it not be run at this time, then why did ms put it on the startup menu - just to have you undo it!?
  • how can i run it when needed - how will i know when it's needed?
  • what exactly does it do?

Description: Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to immensely improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system

what could this mean?! - if it "immensely improves.." then what does it mean that it "isn't necessary"?

where did the Startup Database come from? if i did not have access to it, then how could i possibly perform this very basic function of identifying viruses, etc ?

Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.

what does this mean?

This entry has been requested 13307 times.

what does this mean?

thanks (besottedly)

Edited by nweissma, 13 April 2007 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

1) Yes :huh:
2) For the rest, this is a program that gives you extra options to adjust/tweak your video card - both from the context menu (right click) and from your desktop. If you're not changing/experimenting with your video settings, disable it. You can re-enable it if you decide that you want it later on. As I recall, it may even include an icon in the system tray (it's disabled on all of my systems).
3) Your questions about the startup database are a bit confusing to me. The startup database is a record of startup programs that have been found to be running on many different systems. You won't have all of them - but you will have certain ones, depending on the specs of your system and the software that's loaded. The startup database is used (with a lot of research) to help determine if you need a certain program running on your system. In the end the "litmus" test is to turn it off. If you don't find that you need it, then leave it off. If you do need it, turn it back on.

4) Startup type describes how the program starts on your computer. The entries refer to different locations on your computer where programs can be started automatically from

5) Requested is just that - how many times people have requested information on this item from the database.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users