Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Needed On Connecting An External Monitor To Laptop With Broken Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrsdje

mrsdje

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

Hi to all and thankyou in advance

I have a acer notebook with a broken screen
I have been given a monitor which i have connected to the laptop
when i switch on th elaptop it loads on the external monitor but after 5 seconds the laptop screen takes over
and shuts off the external monitor
i cant check my control panel on the broken screen the majority of it is smashed
i was wondering if i could somehow bypass the laptop screen and use the external monitor
any help would be appricated
thankyou
karyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

You should be able to switch to the monitor using the Fn+F5 key. That will switch the display from the laptop to the external monitor then you can change it permanently in the Display properties
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

In control panel (with the external monitor hooked up) click display, then click the settings tab. Next you should see the laptops monitor and the external monitor. Click the external one and select extend view onto this screen, then click use as primary monitor. Then go back to the laptops monitor and un check the box that says extend view into this monitor. Then hit ok. I hope you can understand this, I'm not that good at explaining things :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users