Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton On Your Life?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Novitiate

Novitiate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:44 AM

I have to renew my Norton Internet Security package within the next week. I've been buying Norton Internet protection ever since I started accessing the internet, about four years ago dial-up time but, in broadband-time, about four-weeks ago. On the plus side, I've never had a malware problem, not a virus nor a trojan, not a nuthin'. Norton tells me that in the last 12 months it's saved me from 73,458 nasties. On the minus side, it's cost me a lot of money and a lot of computer resources. My gut feeling is to go with what's working and Norton is working. But I've seen a lot on this forum about Open Source protection, arguing that it's not only cheaper but also more efficient. What is the general feeling out there? Anyone else made this choice? chow, Margaret

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

Hi Novitiate

Norton and in general Security suits are known for the fact that they are resource hoggers. Generally a number of free programs are recommended overhere which are tested and found doing their job very well.

I use :

Antivirus AVG Free
Firewall Zone Alarm Free
Anti Spyware AVG Anti Spyware, together with Superantispyware, Adaware and Spybot Search and destroy.

This has kept me clean for over 2 years now.
Check my sig for the Free Handy programs thread where there are a lot of free programs

Also read the following informative threads

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe
The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online
Seven ways to keep your search history private
How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!
Secure Your Home Computer - A guide for online users

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

There have been many threads discussing the benefits or drawbacks of having one catchall security suite, and also about using Norton's in particular. I would never use either for reasons I have stated many times before. You can have more-than-adequate protection, and for the downloading, by choosing free applications each of which are focused on one aspect of security. Norton's suite seems very cumbersome when it comes to using your computer's resources.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

I just heard from a friend, who recently renewed his Norton Subscription, that it is no longer "transferable" to a second computer in his home. He's used it for years and never experienced some of the nightmare scenarios that we've all heard about. Now he will have to buy a second subscription if he wants it on the other computer. Needless to say, he's not going to do that and is using that second computer to investigate and test other antivirus programs. Come next year, he will not renew with Norton.

#5 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

I just heard from a friend, who recently renewed his Norton Subscription, that it is no longer "transferable" to a second computer in his home. He's used it for years and never experienced some of the nightmare scenarios that we've all heard about. Now he will have to buy a second subscription if he wants it on the other computer. Needless to say, he's not going to do that and is using that second computer to investigate and test other antivirus programs. Come next year, he will not renew with Norton.

Good idea. When my mom's subscription to Norton is up, I'm putting Avast & Zone Alarm on her PC. She'll be so impressed at the startup speed and the speed in general. Norton is killing her pc.....

:thumbsup:
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#6 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

i bought norton systemn works about 2 years ago for 30 (about $60) installed it and my computer was so slow it was unreal so uninstalled straight away and as i had not registered it with product key gave it to my father in-law never bought anything since i know use avg anti virus and avg antispyware both free
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#7 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

I can assure mommabear is correct and I was just on my way here to warn everyone else too when I spotted this thread.

Used Norton for years and years without considering anything except they had always done a good job of protecting my backside. Didn't worry about the remarks of 'Norton is bloat' or 'Norton is a resource hog' etc, etc, etc. They did me right for a reasonable price so I remained loyal. Each annual subscription or upgrade of Norton Internet Security was accomplished on an "account basis" meaning as long as I logged into my Norton account with one of my boxes Norton upgraded or renewed that machine as well... all machines on the one account for the one reasonable fee. I 'think' there was a limit of four machines per account, but that didn't affect me.

This year when I renewed NIS it took aqes for me to figure out how to get the renewal to vaccinate the machine I was using. Finally worked it out. Thought this is good stuff and fired up this machine. When I tried to apply the upgrade key a second time Norton kindly told me the subscription key had already been used and I should purchase another. I DON'T THINK SO! So Norton has decided to switch to a 'machine by machine' renewal basis. They can get stuffed! They finally came up with straw that broke this camel's back. Just how much money do they need?

After scouring NOrton off this box with the XP Control Panel Add/Remove and the Norton Removal Tool I am now running Comodo f/w and Avira AntiVir. No problems running those two together thus far, AND, I will be the most recent in a cast of hundreds, if not thousands, to confirm for the whole world to read... this machine is running very noticeably faster than it did with Norton's tentacles running throughout the Micro$oft OS.

So about this time next year when NOrton wants to be sweet and fix me up with another good deal on my other machine they will get a hearty good-bye there too. As far as I am concerned NOrton can drop the 'r' out of their name and become Noton... Not-on my machines, especially now that I am fully aware of what motivates Norton to do what they do, the way they do it now.

#8 Novitiate

Novitiate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:20 AM

Nix Norton it is then. Thanks for the input. I've downloaded the programs you suggested, fozzie, and read the tutorials. Is Google really a danger to privacy as one of them suggests? ("seven ways to protect your privacy"). I'll be scanning for The Mothership next. Once again, thanks for the help. I'd be really stuck without it, Margaret :thumbsup:

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:29 AM

Google more or less records what you are searching for and uses that for her advertisements. I use Firefox together with the addon "Customize Google " with which you anonomize your search patterns as much as possible.

You won't ever be secure for the full 100% but 98% is still nice :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users