Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Seconds Can Help So Many

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

I have a request for those who care to participate in a good cause. A year ago I was diagnosed with a autoimmune disorder called Sjogren's Syndrome(pronounced shogrens), I had no idea what my doctor was talking about when he suggested blood work be done, I only knew that I had been having alot of problems with an extremely dry mouth & dry eyes. The blood work was done & turned up positive for Sjogren's. As I have (at times painfully) learned: Sjogren's is an autoimmune disease, your immune system begins to damage & destroy your moisture making glands,usually noticed first by dry mouth because the salivary glands are usually the first affected.
There are approx. 1-4 million people who are affected by this chronic disorder for which there is no cure. It is pretty much a hidden disease because most who have it do not look ill. Sjogren's is also a chronic inflammatory disease. It affects not only your moisture producing glands but is systemic, it can affect many other organs of the body.
Sjogren's can affect the heart,lungs,skin,kidneys,central nervous system,muscles & joints and causes extreme fatigue. The average time for diagnosis is 2-8 yrs. from the first symptoms because they are so similar to other diseases and most doctors never make the connection that it is in fact Sjogren's.
I am a member of the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping educate & make the public more aware of a disease that is little know & yet can be devastating to live with. They are also involved with helping to back research for earlier diagnosis & hopefully one day a cure.
I was recently made aware of a site that can be accessed to search the web called "goodsearch.com". Everytime a search is made thru this site a donation is made to the Sjogren's Foundation. It only takes a few seconds of time to go to the site. When you log on to it there is a screen with a spot to put in what orginazation you would like the contribution to go to. After you enter the organ. above there is the area to input whatever you want to search for on the web. The site and use of it cost you nothing but it can do so much good to help so many others, so I am asking for help if you are willing.
Your help will be more than greatly appreciated.

The site is: goodsearch.com------put in Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation Inc. in the area designated , once input, each time you use the site it will already be in place so you don't have to bother putting it in everytime.
I thank all who have taken the time to read my request & to those who choose to help out, thank you so much !! :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your time, Iodine (Vicki) :flowers:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

The least I could do Vicky. I will use this site along with Google.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:24 AM

I accessed the site,and it is not available outside the USA,Sorry I can't help,Vicky.
This is the message I recieved.

GoodSearch is currently only available from within the United States, though we plan to expand internationally in the near future. If you are trying to access our site from the U.S. and are receiving this message, please email us using the form below.

While I am on the subject,I invite you to look into joining Folding@ home BC Team 38444.We would love to have you,Vicky.Folding is about finding cures for presently incurable diseases,also.

I am sorry to hear about your struggle with Sjogren's Syndrome,and hope a cure is found quickly.

Edited by DSTM, 13 April 2007 - 04:28 AM.

#4 Iodine

Iodine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:36 AM

:flowers: Thank you for the try DSTM, I appreciate it. I wasn't aware that the site was not available outside the U.S.
I was hoping it was since it is powered by Yahoo. Oh well, perhaps they'll fix it up before long. Yes, I will seriously consider your invitation to join Folding on BC, I saw something about it before but didn't get the chance to read all about it or the instructions that are necessary for setting up to participate. I will definately look into it. Thank you,
Hope you're doing better by the way, my thoughts and prayers have been with you.
Speedy recovery,
Iodine,(vicki) :thumbsup:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#5 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for sharing Vicki and making those of us who weren't before aware of this disease. I will definitely do my part for the cause. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#6 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

I have just tried to access this site here in the UK and bingo access granted. I will support the foundation whenever possible.

Long may you health remain stable.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

I will try again, and see if I am granted access here in OZ.I Hope and Pray your health improves,Vicki. :thumbsup:

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

What a great idea this is Iodine! :thumbsup:

I'll make GoodSearch one of of Bookmarked search engines if it can help you with this darn disease. Is a shame that autoimmune diseases are robbing people out of the best years of their lives.
Stay strong and keep positive that one day they will find a cure.

Thanx for sharing.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hi Vicki and welcome!

I've just zipped off to try it and 'goodsearch' worked perfectly here from my location in Canada (added 'Sjogren's Syndrome' in the appropriate line).

How wonderful you are able to share with us and I too truly hope a cure is found!

Please do take care of yourself ...
Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

GoodSearch works from Perth... will give it a go for a good cause...

#11 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

What a great site Vicki, thanks for sharing with us all. I will surely pass the word on to all my friends and ask them to do so as well. I have a few different organizations I would like to help out and wondered if I could do so and this is what they had to say about it:

Can users donate to more than one cause?

Yes, of course. Users can support as many causes as they'd like. To make giving back as easy as possible, we've designed the site so that each time a user visits GoodSearch, their "Who do you GoodSearch for?" selection will remain the same as the last time they used the search engine. However, users can support as many causes as they'd like by just changing the charity or school selected on the GoodSearch homepage each time they conduct a new search. Users can change the designated organization by clicking on "clear selection" and then typing in the name of the new organization.

So the three that I can think of right now are:

1. Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation Inc.
2. ASPCA
3. and if they possibly have one for TMD/TMJ
4. Diabetes.

Thanks again Vicki, and I hope they find a cure for you really soon. :thumbsup:

#12 Iodine

Iodine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:31 PM

:thumbsup: The hugs are for all of you who have read & responded so positively to my request. To those who have read the requests & I haven't heard from,I'm sure there are many among you that are participating also and I thank you. :inlove: These are for fozzy,DSTM,tink,The Gorilla,TMack,Mara(how are you feeling?),Globe Roamer Jeff & cozy......Thanks so very,very much guys, you don't know what this will mean to so many people, not just me. You're all the greatest!!! :flowers: Cozy, I'm glad you checked a little further into goodsearch....What a great idea!!! :trumpet: The charities you found & mentioned are really worth the little bit of time it takes to do it on that site, think the least I can do is give them a boost too!! Way to go cozy!!!
Again, I can't thank you all enough. Mara get back up to 100% soon..

Always yours,
Iodine (vicki) :cool:

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Just saw this...This a great thing ..Count me in
:thumbsup: Vicky ,I hope they find a cure ASAP

maybe one of the moderator's can pin this topic

Edited by boopme, 20 April 2007 - 05:35 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

A similar group of sites is The Rainforest Site where clicking through each day helps perserve a small amount of the rainforest.

At the top of the page, you'll note links to other, similar sites helping:

World Hunger
Breast Cancer
Child Health
Literacy
Animal Rescue

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users