Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Install Msxm 4.0 Kb9279789

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

Hey guys! I've tried to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978) several times. But, I get the following error message.....Could not open key: Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\Msxm|2.Dom Document, 4.0\CLSID
I am the computer administrator. I looked at the registry, but after Classes, there's not an entry for Msxm.
All other updates have installed with out any problems......I think!
Any Ideas?!? Thanks so much.....dpb...........

XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hi, dpb510!

Maybe the following; as supplied by MS Tech.

Reinstall MSXML 4.00 sp2
  • download MSXML 4.00 SP2 installer from http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6...aac-7...9561629
  • When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and
    follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
  • After downloading this file, please double-click the msxml.msi file on
    the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically.
  • If you receive three options "Modify", "Repair", and "Remove", please
    click Remove and follow the instructions to remove MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2.
  • After removing it, please double-click "msxml.msi" file again, click
    "Install Now" button, and then follow the instructions.
After reinstalling MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2, please install the update KB927978.

Reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)
  • Please download the update from the following link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/2...cd9-3...0130141
  • When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and
    follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
  • After downloading this file, please double-click the "msxml4-KB927978-enu.exe" file on the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically.
Let us know how this goes!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 13 April 2007 - 06:05 PM.

#3 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hey Amazing Andrew!
I really appreciate your time in helping me!
Unfortunately, I have already tried this procedure, provided by MS Tech, which did not work. :thumbsup:
I receive the error message, could not open key: Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\Msxm|2.Dom Document, 4.0\CLSID....., every time I try to open either of these files.

Any other ideas?!?

Thanks again.....dpb.......

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

I receive the error message, could not open key: Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\Msxml2.Dom Document, 4.0\CLSID....., every time I try to open either of these files.

Different applications install different versions of msxml. msxml4 is not installed by XP.
The key doesn't exist because msxml4 is not installed on your system. There's no need to install it just so you can patch it.
In other words, there's nothing wrong with your computer. The update does not apply to you. Ignore it.
If you do a file search on msxml, you will see a list of msxml.dll's with a number (i.e msxml2.dll, msxml3.dll, etc) that will determine what version is installed. You can also use this tool.

#5 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

HitSquad......Thanks for the info! I forgot the old saying. Keep it simple! :thumbsup:

Now I'm wondering, why does auto update keep telling me I need this patch? I'll try, don't show updates, and hopefully this will work.

Again, thanks.......dpb.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users