Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Again - Network Connection Settings?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

I have read Wikipedia, this site, other googled things, etc. etc. and I've asked and people have tried to explain the networking/routing principles to me (thanks :flowers: ) but I have trouble knowing what is going on in a practical sense. I have a router which was configured to be used with an ISP which I never connected with. The ISP I did connect with gave me some settings to enter into the router which connected me ok but the computer firewall would give me messages that some part of it was being blocked from talking to another part (?) I queried the settings with the ISP, and the person I spoke to said to change the settings in Windows (disabled DHCP, put in some addresses - she said it was changing to static from dynamic). (The settings in the router now don't seem to match up with the settings in Windows...)
My complete ignorance about what Windows is doing, what the router is doing, etc. is again significant because I downloaded Puppy Linux and to set this up to connect to the internet it is talking about all of this stuff that I don't understand.... :thumbsup: I presume that I have to tell Puppy not to use DHCP and to put in the DNS addresses for the ISP, the same way the Windows connection is configured, but I don't know what it all means. Is anybody able to explain this in very basic terms? Thanks
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users