Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sallie48

Sallie48

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:30 PM

Right now I have a Pentium 4 using windows ME. It has been giving me headaches for months due to the increase in work I have been doing on it. I am about ready to invest in a new computer but find that I know NOTHING about the new technology in them. I don't want to ask the computer sales person because they just want to sell me a computer. So can anyone here tell me what I might want to look for?

I use MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Adobe Acrobat Reader as well as photo processing software. I have a grandson who is also into games and will be using it occasionally to play.

I was told by a friend to get a core 2 duo processor????? And what are IEEE adapters?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:43 AM

The IEEE adapters are firewire connections for devices like a camcorder'

Core 2 Duo is currently being recognized as the best processor on the market, but wait another month and that could change.

If you are buying a new computer one of the things you need to consider is what operating system are you going to use. XP is still available and will run well on 512MB of RAM, but if you are going to purchase a computer with Vista or are going to update to Vista in the future you will need a minimum of 1GB of RAM.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as photo processing, but if you are doing any editing you will need more RAM than the recommended amount, 1GB for XP and 2GB for Vista. This holds true for modern games, if your grandchild is going to be playing serious games then you will also want to look for a computer with a graphics card that will be able to keep up with them or a computer that will allow you to upgrade the graphics card.

Another issue with computers used for games is the power supply, if you purchase a computer and decide to change the graphics card later you may find that the power supply will be inadequate. Some manufacturers supply their own power supplies that are not the industry ATX form factor, this means that you can't purchase a off the shelf unit to replace it if you want to upgrade. So ask the sales person if the power supply (PSU) is not only ATX in size but that the connector pin out is also ATX, if the sales person can't help you...get someone else to help you.

As far as who is building the better machine, hopefully else here will make a suggestion. I build my own and don't keep up with who is building the better mouse trap.

When you find a computer that you are interested in post it here and let the members critique it. And do not be afraid to ask more questions...as the saying goes, the only bad question is the one that isn't asked.

btw, welcome to BC Sal.

Edited by dc3, 13 April 2007 - 12:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

I have a grandson who is also into games and will be using it occasionally to play.

Sal

Oops - can anyone say "uh, oh!"?

:huh:

Hi Sal -

New systems are coming with Microsoft' Vista operating system, and it's possible that some of the games that are now working just fine on that Windows Me system won't work on Vista. It's possible the best thing for you, for a while anyway, would be for you to become a "two PC" owner.

Setting up a second user for your grandson will make sense on the new Vista system, too, especially if you will be sharing the new PC with him. If you need help with that once you get your system, let us know, OK?

How old is your grandson? Some of these "young 'uns" know a lot about PCs, and maybe he could help. Also, if there is a specific new game that he'll want to run, it will be helpful to know the minimum game requirements and apply them in your search for a new PC.

Anyway, like dc3 said, "post it here" and we'll try to help.

Oh, and btw - welcome to the board Sal.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Sallie48

Sallie48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

Thank you so much for the help. Right now my grandson is only playing online games that don't require alot of computer power. But I can see you are correct about having two computers as I always have to go in after him and delete cookies and his history from the games sites. And he is only 10. LOL

As for the photo processing, I just use Adobe and Picasa which are not to demanding. Mostly I just need a good computer that will multitask as I switch from screen to screen without freezing up as this one does CONSTANTLY.

Thanks again for the help.

Sal

#5 Sallie48

Sallie48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

OK....I'm in the process of building/ordering my system. Should I get an AMD or Intel processor? I am leaning toward a Intel Core Duo 2 E4300 (1.8 GHz, 800 FSB) as well as 2 GIG of memory. Would AMD be better?

Sal

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Core 2 Duo E4300 and two gigabytes of RAM sounds nice. The AMD processor at the same price-point is a little bit slower so going Intel makes sense. It should also make for a nice multi-tasking system.

Windows Vista has some under-the-hood changes which means it can make use of a graphics card to make the switching and dragging a much smoother experience.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Sallie48

Sallie48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it!!

Sal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users