Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Newest Batch Of Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi,

I had a few questions about the latest batch of Windows Updates:

1. Are these all the updates below? (I'm trying to figure out if they all come up for me.)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2007 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)

2. Have there been any issues with any of them?

2a. I know that there's something up with the KB925902 one and if you have a RealTek sound card. I believe my sound card is a Conexant soundcard, so I should be okay with installing this one, right? (I don't believe I have any of the other stuff listed on my computer in any form.)

3. I usually wait a week to make sure there's issues before installing (as Terrorist_75 suggested -- thanks!), but I read that the KB92592 one is pretty important, right? Something about cursor exploits? So should I install that one now?

3a. And/or are all of them good to go with no issues? (I know last month there was one that people were having problems with and I ended up not installing it because I wasn't having the issue it addressed.)

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

I just got them the other day and so far, so good. I'm using XP Home. I don't remember what the ones in your list are all for, but I have excluded any that had to do with IE7 because I don't want to "upgrade" to it. And like you, I've hidden some others that did not apply to me.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

The update that effects Realtek as been patched
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 13 April 2007 - 07:38 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:49 AM

See the following:

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the posts! :flowers:

I just got them the other day and so far, so good. I'm using XP Home. I don't remember what the ones in your list are all for, but I have excluded any that had to do with IE7 because I don't want to "upgrade" to it. And like you, I've hidden some others that did not apply to me.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002 SP2

I didn't see any of those I listed that were for IE7...? Am I reading something wrong? (I, too, do not want to "upgrade".)

The update that effects Realtek as been patched

That would be the KB925902 update. So they actually patched that update. Or are you referring to the fact that there's another hotfix that you can download in addition to that if you have issues with it from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

I don't think this applies to me, but I'm not positive, as I wasn't sure if I was looking in the right place for the info on my sound card? When go to Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices, it lists Conexant AC-Link Audio -- is this my sound card? If so, is this in any way related to Realtek?

Also, why do some of these Windows Updates on the surface seem like they're for other Operating Systems than XP, but still come up for me when I do Windows Update? For example:

KB930178 -- When you google it, the MS site says it's for Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

But if you then click a link in that MS page, it takes you to another page and lists XP Home SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-021.mspx

KB931261 -- When you google it, the MS site says it's for Windows XP x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

But if you click a link on that page, it goes here and also lists XP SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-019.mspx

KB932168 -- When you google it, the MS site says its for Windows Server 2003:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

But if you click on a link on that page, it goes here and also lists XP SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-020.mspx

So I'm just curious why it's listed like this. These updates are definitely for XP SP2 for sure, right? (Just trying to get a better understanding of how this all works...)

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 13 April 2007 - 09:03 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

When Microsoft scans your computer at the begining of the update process, it determines what OS you have and only offers updates for that OS. It won't offer a "Vista only" update for XP
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

When Microsoft scans your computer at the begining of the update process, it determines what OS you have and only offers updates for that OS. It won't offer a "Vista only" update for XP

Okay, thanks!

So then I guess MS just lists that stuff weirdly in at their site? Maybe who the update is for mainly is listed first, then all the other OS that need it too are listed on the bulletin?

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

Well, I've "heard", in the past, that Microsoft will list all the updates for your operating system, but if they are for something you don't actually need at that time it sort of installs them anyway, until if and when you may need them. In other words, I guess having them on your system won't hurt anything and they don't become 'active' until you're system has changed in some way that applies to the patch. Then it kicks in. Not a very techy answer, but that's the gist of it.

Edited by mommabear, 13 April 2007 - 02:19 PM.

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

Well, I've "heard", in the past, that Microsoft will list all the updates for your operating system, but if they are for something you don't actually need at that time it sort of installs them anyway, until if and when you may need them. In other words, I guess having them on your system won't hurt anything and they don't become 'active' until you're system has changed in some way that applies to the patch. Then it kicks in. Not a very techy answer, but that's the gist of it.

Ah... so it's possible that one update actually is for Vista, but when you dig deeper, you see that it's listed for XP SP2 and other things also, and the reason for that is because you might need it later when you get Vista?

Gah... I wish they'd just simply explain it all. Oh, well... I downloaded all them and installed (the ones I listed) and everything seems to be okay (so far). :flowers:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users