Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arrows On Desktop Programs Icons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

Just found and installed a program that will eliminate the shortcut arrows in the icons on your Desktop. I think it is awesome. Every since TweakUi for Windows 95, I've always eliminated the arrows. I think it does a lot to enhance the look of the desktop.

Here is the link I used. It is a really small file and, once installed, you select what you want to do with your icons.

Let me know what you think of this. :huh:

http://vistarewired.com/2007/03/03/removin...-arrow-overlay/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

This program, in my opinion, at the moment represents the best Vista tuning software available. Not free but has a long trial period. It removes the arrows among a mass of other functions.
http://www.xp-smoker.com/vistasmokerpro.html

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

While I haven't tried it, I've read where Microsoft's Tweakui for Windows XP -

you can find it h e r e along with the XP Powertoys (on the right side of the screen, an little way down) -

will work with Vista.

Who will be the first to step up and test it?

Edit - It appears you will have to set TweakUI to run as an administrator and set the mode to XP compatibility.

Edited by JohnWho, 13 April 2007 - 07:09 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

I make my own little program to remove the short-cut arrows. :huh:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Wow, I had never even noticed that there were arrows at all!! :huh:
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#6 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:42 AM

Yes. Thats about the truth of it Evilmonkey - why bother to remove it?

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

Why remove them. Why-Because you can and it only took me a minute. The icons look so much better with the arrows gone. My question-Why not?

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

Ah, yes. My mistake. I do not use the destop for shortcuts at all, I prefer to "copy" the original *.exe. I mostly use my quick launch bar for such. I only have 7 program Icons on the desktop, but as a result of this query, I did put up a few shortcuts - they did look a bit out of place. But it raised a question in my mind. The shrtcuts did not seem to be any faster than the copying process (which I use) - what is the advantage , anyone??

#9 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:26 AM

I don't believe there is any benefit other than aesthetic. The icons just look much nicer. No functional reason!

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

Shortcuts allow you to manage your programs by keeping the executables all in one place (Program Files/Windows directory). Since a shortcut is so small, there's no noticeable lag with them.

The benefits come from what you like to do with the GUI. Since the GUI is there to make things easier for you, the shortcuts can do the same if you like.

For example, my wife likes a shortcut on her desktop for Windows Explorer, others I know don't mind digging through the Start menu to find it. Myself, I prefer to type it in "Start" and use it from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

Ok. Understood butwith reserve. aesthetically there is no difference between a shortcut or a drag and drop *.exe file on the desktop. Speedwise? I don't think there could be any discernable difference. As for placing. I must say a 1kb shortcut on the desktop offers more advantages than, for example a 250kb *.exe file! But in defence I do the same as Usasma and have a clean desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users