Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Niniane

Niniane

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

Following a couple of weeks of issues with some Adware (see 'Security' forum) and some previous history with random restarts, my computer is now not moving past the Start Up screen which offers the options of starting normally, in safe mode etc. Regardless of the choice made at this point, the computer restarts and returns to the same screen. There is no 'blue screen of death' or error message given. As the computer has been randomly restarting on odd occasions prior to the adware issue I don't believe the two to be linked (but you might draw a different conclusion here!).
I am running Windows XP and the computer is about 5 years old. I have had no previous issues with it other than the Adware problem. I have tried all options on the start up screen but none of these work. I have opened the case and cleaned out any dust and checked to see if any cables are loose or unplugged (as far as I can tell everything looks ok but I am no techie!!) I have also tried booting from the OS Installation CD that came with the computer. Once the initial files are installed I chose the option of 'Recovery' but the computer stalls at the C:\> prompt. I then tried the option of reinstalling Windows and arrived at the point where I need to chose a partition where Windows will be installed. I was not sure what to do at this point so I cancelled the setup.
Any ideas??

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:25 AM

If you want to reinstall XP see the following link for information.

Clean Install Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

I had a similar incident recently. It turned out to be a partial failure of the hard drive. There is a utility, Digital Dolly you can use to test your hard drive. It boots and runs from a CD. It does not install to a hard drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Budapest, I guess what I really need to know is that if I reinstall XP, does this reformat the hard drive and cause me to lose everything there? While I had copied most of the essential files I wanted to a CD, I recently downloaded a number of photos I have no other copies of and would prefer not to lose these. When I get to that screen using the Windows CD to boot from, it gives me 3 partitions to choose from - which of these should I select if I choose to reinstall XP?

Acklan, If I use Digital Dolly, do I simply download it, burn it to CD and use that as I would the XP boot disk? Sorry but I am not much more than a novice!

Thanks for your help so far!

:thumbsup:

#5 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

Budapest, I guess what I really need to know is that if I reinstall XP, does this reformat the hard drive and cause me to lose everything there? While I had copied most of the essential files I wanted to a CD, I recently downloaded a number of photos I have no other copies of and would prefer not to lose these. When I get to that screen using the Windows CD to boot from, it gives me 3 partitions to choose from - which of these should I select if I choose to reinstall XP?

Acklan, If I use Digital Dolly, do I simply download it, burn it to CD and use that as I would the XP boot disk? Sorry but I am not much more than a novice!

Thanks for your help so far!

:thumbsup:

If the file came as an ISO, you would use a CD burner (do NOT burn natively from Windows, M$ doesn't know how to burn ISO files) and you would use the "Burn ISO" or "Burn Image" command.

If it did not come as an ISO, then you should read the directions on the site you got it off of.

When it is burned, place it in your CD drive and reboot your computer. If it doesn't boot, you'll have to make sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD before it looks for a bootable OS on the HDD

As for reinstalling Windows, you will NOT lose your data if you do a repair install. If you do a clean install, it will make you format the drive and you will lose ALL of your data.

Edited by madman6510, 13 April 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

It downloads as a .zip file. Create directory and download to that folder. Unzip it there and burn an .iso image to CD.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

FWIW - this is an outstanding free power toy for Windows that'll burn ISO's using the native burning capability: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Use v2.0 for XP (and v3.0 for Vista) - it adds a right click option to record the image to a CD/DVD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:46 AM

I have downloaded Digital Dolly to a folder on my desktop but am unsure what to burn.
When first downloaded, I see the ReadMe file, a cdrom.md5 file, a CD cover pdf file and a zipped cdrom file. Is this cdrom file the iso file I should burn or do I need to unzip this and burn all of the files contained within? Sorry, as I said, I am no techie! Please be patient with me! :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

Unzip the large .zip file into that folder. That will be the file you will burn to disk. Have you read the ReadMe file? The .pdf file is the cover art for the cd case (I think. Never use cover art.).
Here is a brief explanation of the cdrom.md5 file.

#10 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

I have already unzipped to the folder which in turn created a cdrom folder. Should I just burn this entire folder (the cdrom one) or do I need to have the cdrom.md5 file too? I never use cover art either so I won't worry about that and yes I've read the ReadMe file - and had a look at the manual contained within the new folder - not much help at this stage! :thumbsup:

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

You must burn the file directly to the CD. It cannot be inside a folder or the computer will not see it, to boot from it.

#12 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

I burnt two different CDs using the Digital Dolly files and the computer did not recognise either of them (and therefore failed to boot once again continually returning to the start up options screen). The first I burnt the .iso file to and the second time I included the unzipped files as well as the .iso file. Did I do something wrong with the burning process? I hate to be a pain but I was still quite unsure just which file to burn to the CD. :thumbsup:

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:36 AM

The first CD that you burnt the .iso to, what do you see on the disk in Explorer (ie. what files are on the disk).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

Are you sure your BIOS is set to boot the CD first? If not it will boot your hard drive.

#15 Niniane

Niniane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

I checked the boot sequence and saw that the first option was a card reader and the second the CD Rom so I changed these over and it made no difference.
I used Explorer to see what was on the first CD. It contains what appears to be a zipped file containing 10 other files (although when I look under Properties it is listed as a .iso file) and the cdrom.md5 file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users