Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Exceptions Tab Of Windows Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

In Control Panel-->Windows Firewall (which is turned off, as I use ZA free)-->Exceptions Tab:

When you click "Edit" to see what it is, they are listed as this:

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avginet.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe

1. I'm guessing the AVG ones are all okay and should be checked?

2. I have no idea what the Earthlink thing is. My dial-up is Earthlink, but I've never installed any Earthlink software on my computer (or downloaded any) -- and when I go to C:\Program Files there is NO FOLDER called "Earthlink TotalAccess" (even if I unhide hidden folders). I even searched my C: drive and D: partition for TaskPanl.exe, and it does not come up. So why is it listed there? And checked on top of that?

2a. Is it running this program on some other computer somehow?

2b. Should I uncheck this? Delete it even?

3. I saw that Remote Assistance was also checked, so I unchecked it per someone's suggestion. Any reason to be concerned that it's been checked all along until now?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:16 AM

TaskPanl.exe Information

It seems to be a legit programme so I wouldn't worry about. Also, as you are not using the Windows firewall these exceptions are not applied anyway.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

TaskPanl.exe Information It seems to be a legit programme so I wouldn't worry about.

I see that it's a legitimate program, but...

It says: Earthlink Task Panel - part of Earthlink TotalAccess 2003 internet access software. Quick access to internet, E-mail and web-space

...however, I have *never* installed anything called Earthlink TotalAccess 2003. And, like I was saying, when I search for that .exe file, it does not show up in a search of my computer. Nor is the folder that it says in that Exceptions tab when I click "Edit" on it existing in C:\Program Files like it says it is.

So why is this listed? And why is it checked?

Also, as you are not using the Windows firewall these exceptions are not applied anyway.

Really? Someone else told me that those things that are checked are applied even though you're not using Windows Firewall, because they're "exceptions" -- so that's not true?

Thanks for the post! Looking forward to hearing back! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

Someone else told me that those things that are checked are applied even though you're not using Windows Firewall, because they're "exceptions" -- so that's not true?

Well...I can't say 100% because I don't use ZA. One thing to do would be to look in your ZA log to see if this TaskPanl.exe is ever accessing the internet. Also, check to see if there is an exception for TaskPanl.exe in ZA.

As to how it got on your computer - no idea sorry.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

Someone else told me that those things that are checked are applied even though you're not using Windows Firewall, because they're "exceptions" -- so that's not true?

Well...I can't say 100% because I don't use ZA. One thing to do would be to look in your ZA log to see if this TaskPanl.exe is ever accessing the internet. Also, check to see if there is an exception for TaskPanl.exe in ZA.

As to how it got on your computer - no idea sorry.

I don't see it listed in "Program Control" -- and the logs only list of stuff that's trying to be sent to my computer (I think), unless there's another log somewhere?

But... is it even on my computer? Like I said, when I search for that file, it is not anywhere on my C: drive or D: partition (as far as I can tell). And there's no folder where it says it is.

Anybody else have any ideas in addition...? :flowers:

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

It was probably installed at the factory. OEM computers are like that.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

It was probably installed at the factory. OEM computers are like that.

Sure, that makes sense. But the bigger question is... is it installed?

If it's actually on my computer, why does the .exe file (or anything remotely named like it) not show up when I do a search of my entire hard drive? And why is there not a folder in C:\Program Files for it like it says there is when I click on it in the Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall and choose "Edit".

Edited by bloomcounty, 13 April 2007 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users