Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Provided By Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ReedCo

ReedCo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

My son's computer is brand new and his browser is Internet Explorer 7.0. After a couple of weeks I got to noticing that at the top of the screen it states "Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo." It was not like that initially. I have tried reinstalling IE from Microsoft and it always has "provided by Yahoo." Since it has switched to that version, he keeps getting all types of adware/spyware applications that are taking over his computer. We have 4 computers in our home and his is the only one that is "provided by Yahoo" and his is the only one that keeps getting these horrible viruses. Can anyone help me??

Thanks in advance,

Libby

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi ReedCo, :thumbsup: to BC

ReedCo, unfortunately these viruses your son is getting are not being caused because his IE is branded by something from Yahoo. They are appearing because your son is downloading stuff he should not be. Teach him to be a safe surfer. If he continues to infect the computer, create an password protected administrator account for yourself, password protect the Windows default administrator account (start in safe mode or use Microsoft's TweakUI http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx to access this account) and then set his account as a limited user account until he learns to be more responsible. Hopefully you won't need to resort this option but it does exist if all else fails.

Since the computer is new if I were you I would just backup any personal files he may have on the computer and use the computers restore disk to restore things to their factory settings. This will be a lot easier than trying to clean up his computer.

You can remove the Yahoo's "brand" from your IE by following these instructions:

From the Tech TV Vault: http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/3...IE_Browser.html

1. Gaze upon your branded logo for the last time.
2. Close all browser windows.
3. Go to Start, choose Run, and type or paste "rundll32 iedkcs32.dll,Clear" without the quotes.
4. Hit Enter.
5. Open a browser window. Jump with joy as you gaze upon your default browser branding.

Edited by Ronbo, 12 April 2007 - 11:09 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users