Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Multiple Spyware/virus Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaveIs.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

Hi, I've stumbled upon this site many times while researching spyware issues. Great site for help. I am usually pretty good at fixing people's computer when they become infected, but this latest one is driving me nuts. My boss called the other day telling me his home PC is all messed up asking for help. I spent several hours at his house just trying to get the damn thing to function.

I know for a fact that he has the BraveSentry spyware. He's got another thing that pops up a window that says, "Program has encountered a problem and was shut down." It also says that there are multiple folders named Program and needs to rename one. Another problem is "ie_updater.exe" was shut down. Memory could not be read. There are a few more issues, and I'd like a hand on this one.

I've got Ad-AwareSE, Spybot, and HiJackThis installed. I've run spybot and Ad-Aware several times in safe mode, but there are plenty left afterwards. If someone could walk me thru this, I'd be greatful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,755 posts
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

BC Instructions for removing Brave Sentry in link below.

Then follow up with the instructions below.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.

Getting into Windows Safe Mode
(pre-Vista OS's)

Wanted to add that you should warn the computer owner that "ie_updater.exe" is listed as a Backdoor trojan. This means that his personal financial info that is on the computer may already be compromised.
Suggest monitoring credit cards, bank accounts, paypal, etc. Change all passwords using a different computer. Super Antispyware says it can remove it.

Edited by buddy215, 12 April 2007 - 07:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DaveIs.

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I had stumbled across the BraveSentry removal instructions and tried them before posting. The SmitFraudFix didn't work for me. There's alot of conflict going on when windows boots up. Even in safe mode, the computer gets the Program encountered problems and had to close msg. It pops up alot and practically forces the PC to reboot. The cursor has a constant hourglass next to it while in safe mode. It's almost like the computer is struggling to remain booted.

I'll follow thru on what you recommended though, see how it goes. Hopefully the HiJackThis log will reveal the problems. Wish me luck!

I looked up the ie_explore thing and saw that it was a trojan. Knew it was gonna be trouble. I'll talk to my boss about any financial info that may have leaked. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by DaveIs., 13 April 2007 - 12:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users