Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biggib

biggib

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

I was one of the( lucky?) people to receive a free vista upgrade from hp. (The computer i purchased is vista capable)the questions i have are how do i copy xp to a disk before installing vista (are the recovery disks i made the same thing?)and are there step by step instructions available?i haven't received my copy and probably won't install until all fixes are out.also i heard of invalid installation keys due to piracy is that true? i won't be able to respond now so thanks in advance :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hopefully, HP will provide detailed instructions on how to do that free upgrade to Vista, biggib.

Yes, the "recovery CDs" should allow you to put the system back exactly the way it was when you got it.

Don't forget, though, that any programs you added will not be there, nor will any of the data - files, images, music, etc., so you should back that up separately.

It's been suggested that if you can, you also make an image backup of your XP system before doing the Vista upgrade, too.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 biggib

biggib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

i have already copied all programs and info please explain (or tell me where to find it)how to make an image backup of xp

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

I would contact HP about this. From what I understand, most of the upgrade copies were mailed out already. I recieved mine from Intel several weeks ago.

Your copy of Vista should be completely legal and not have any problems. I would uninstall all programs that you've added since you got the system - and then reinstall the Vista versions after the upgrade.You will have to ensure that you've got the updated drivers - but Vista is pretty good about notifying you of the critical ones. Finally, it's less problematic to do a clean installation rather than an upgrade.

As for imaging your hard drive - as long as you have the recovery disks you won't need an image. BUT, if you want to save the exact state of your computer with all the programs that you may have installed - you may want an imaging utility for that
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users