Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Live Onecare

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5673WLMi laptop with these configurations:

Intel Core Duo T2400
ATI mibility Radeon x1600
100GB sata hdd ( 13Gig left on C:, where windows is installed, and 6 on the other partition)

The problem i'm having now is that my computer keeps on crashing whenever i download at highspeed (around 1MBps and it's not even my downloadl speed limit) using a firefox plugin called downthemall (it's a download manager). But i've been using this software since like forever. But starting from this week, my computer seem to freeze when i queue downloads using the program.

From the day i bought this laptop (last summer) until today, i do the maintenance thing (defrag, scandisk, check for virus etc) for atleast once a week, and i'm not lying. And i never had any problems before and the computer's speed is constant (well, except for the startup ofcause. Too much programs at the startup, but i don't care much). But suddenly, yesterday, it crashed, twice. And today, i lost count.

So what i did is, i scandisk , defrag as usual. Then i use spybot and adaware. And i did the SFC. And i don't see no problem except for the malwares that've been taken care of. Plus when it freezes, i don't use much of memory. It's not even passed 50% of cpu usage because i tried today by closing all active programs except for the dowload manager, and it still freezes.

So, i try to think hard what could cause the problem. And all i could think of is the fact that i installed windows live onecare on saturday. Because after that, except for downloading tv series, i installed/download nothing else.

So, is live onecare is really the cause of the problem? Please help me because i'm basically, i'm ran out of ideas of how to handle this. And my practical will start soon and i'll be needing my laptop to be at its best.

Anyway, i really appreciate your time on reading this. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Updated: I can't defrag anymore! It says theres a problem with c:\...\firefox\...\*can't remeber*.js. When i deleted that, there's another problem ,c:\recycled\Dc1.js . But the problem is, i can't find this file, not even the folder! Argh.. what's happening to my computer??

Edited by jbmoisin, 12 April 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

There could be a number of issues at hand here. The shortest way is to do the following START RUN and type eventvwr. This will open a screen where you can choose from 3 options (Application System and Security) Please check there for red crosses, selec them them and post the contents here.
Event viewer tut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users