Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Usb Powered Hub's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

I've just purchased the Western Digital 120Gb Black Passport Portable Hard Drive and have successfully saved a number of files on to it. However, now when I connect it to my PC in the system tray it recognises that it has been connected but in the "My Computer" folder the "WD" icon is not displayed or the drive letter the device is and as a result I can't access the drive.

I have carried out research on the internet and have found that a possible reason for the drive not showing up my be that the is insufficient power going to the external drive via the USB slot. Apparently WD Passport external USB hard drive requires a minimum of 650Ma (Milliamps) (ideally it needs 1000Ma) of power for proper usage." However, my PC only provides 500 mA per USB slot.

So as a last resort, before I send it back, I was going to purchase a USB POWERED HUB, to see if this will solve the problem. Has anyone suffered this problem or could you suggest which USB POWERED HUB's are known to be good in providing enough power for external USB hard drives. Also, how do I find out how much power a USB POWERED HUB will provide per port as the ones I've looked at don't seem to mention the power capability.

Thanks for you time,

Andy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

Why not get one of these

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/....asp?ProdID=170
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

I've seen this cable when I was carrying out my research into the problem, the only issue is that you can only order the cable if you live in the USA where as I'm from the UK. It does list Western Digital suppliers in the UK but I've looked on a number of their websites and they do not seem to sell this cable.

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 14 April 2007 - 12:37 AM.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

Any powered hub that meeets USB 2.0 specs provides 500mA per downstream port, so any should work.

#5 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

There is no guarantee that any powered hub will work since the specifications for USB 2.0 is 500ma @ +5v per port and you indicated that the WD Passport external USB hard drive requires a minimum of 650ma.

The cable that oldf@rt referenced plugs onto two (2) USB ports and combines the power from the two ports although only one (1) of the two (2) ports is used for the USB data signals.

You should be able to find another similar cable in the UK (Double standard type-A plug to a single standard type B plug that is designed to combine the power of two USB ports).

#6 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks 'just me' , I don't suppose you have come across any websites in the UK that sell these cable have you?

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 14 April 2007 - 12:36 AM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

Sorry, Yorkie, even at my age I still need to learn to read.

#8 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

Yorkie:

I couldn't find any cables like that in the UK. However, I ran across the following user comment about a Western Digital 60GB Passport while I was looking:

Out of the box it is simple to set up, I have the Passport Drive connected via a Belkin USB2 Hub which powers the drive fine (this is a positive as I have had issues with USB powered devices in the past).

Unfortunately, no model number was give for the "Belkin USB2 Hub" that seems to work with the 60GB Passport.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:38 AM

Yorkie,
When replying to a post, don't use the Quote button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or use one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

Thanks "just me", I'm going to contact Western Digital again and see if they can suggest anyone in the UK that might sell the double A cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users