Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Antivirus Update Unsuccessful

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sweetdreamzzz8186

Sweetdreamzzz8186

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

This is driving me insane!!!!! A couple of days ago I tried to update AVG Antivirus so I could scan for viruses. It says that the Update Process is starting but right after it it says that it pops up with update unsuccessful. I have tried to go under the grisoft.com website for support, but it is the 7.5.446 Free version and they do not provide technical support for the free version, then I have tried to go under the forums and I see people that are having the same problems and I try everything that they do and it doesnt work. The messed up thing is that I have even tried to uninstall the program and it says I can't uninstall it. Talk about a computer have a mind of its own, lol. After it looks like it is uninstalling it pops up with a box that says 1 error occured. Click details below to show more information. Okay I click below and it says Local machine: prepared for the installation
Installation:
Error: Uninstallation is not possible. Product not installed.

Okay everytime I go into the Control Panel under Add/Remove programs it isn't there, so I go under Ccleaner where you uninstall programs and it isnt there either, the Grisoft folder is still in the Program files and everytime I try to put that file into the Recycle Bin it says "Cannot delete avg7log.log. It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." I open the Windows Task Manager and the only things I see running that I think is with AVG is avgamsvr.exe, avgemc.exe., and avgupsvc.exe. So I click on each of those and go under the Start tab under All Programs to AVG Antivirus 7.5 and go to uninstall and go through the uninstall program and it says the same thing about the error occuring just like above. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............................................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:07 AM

Have you tried uninstalling it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Sweetdreamzzz8186

Sweetdreamzzz8186
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hey, thanks for the advice. I never would have thought of that. I went under the safe mode and I deleted the file from the program files and then reinstalled it and now it is working great. Thanks alot!!!!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

You're welcome, Sweetdreamzzz8186.
Glad to be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Sweetdreamzzz8186

Sweetdreamzzz8186
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

By the way, what part of Louisiana are you from??? I grew up around the Alexandria/Laffayette area. Just curious.....

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

Born in Ville Platte.
Spent most of my life in Lake Charles.
Been living in the Kinder/Elton area now, for about 10 years.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

By the way, Sweetdreamzzz8186, my understanding is that Ccleaner will only remove the listing from Add/Remove, not the program itself. If I am wrong about that, someone please correct me.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

Uninstall

You should see a list of Programs that you can uninstall. This list is also found in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. On your right you have Run Uninstaller, Rename Entry, and Delete Entry.

Run Uninstaller will remove the application from Windows.

Rename Entry will rename it to whatever you want.

Delete Entry will remove the program from Add/Remove Programs. This can come in handy if you don't want to remove the program or it's no longer installed, but still listed in Add/Remove Programs.

Save to text file... will save the Programs to Remove list.

There is a Right-Click Menu that will list the 4 options as listed above.

Beginners guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users