Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Safe To Clone Your Mac Address?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wh00pa

wh00pa

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:45 AM

my ISP only lets me connect one computer to a router, so i just cloned my mac address over to my other computer to fool the network that they are both the same. I did it so me and my friend can play halo pc together in my room :D. i noticed my download rate is kind of slow though but i dont mind. just wondering if it safe to be doin this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:14 AM

You could just get a router and not have to bother with it.

I won't cause any damage, but in reality you shouldn't have much network connectivity while there are 2 MAC's the same on a network

#3 wh00pa

wh00pa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

yea i know, i have a router buy my isp wants to charge more to have additional mac addresses for more computers, dont feel like paying really,

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:19 AM

if you use nat on the router it will only send 1 mac address to the isp and that will be the one assigned to the router. NAT is network address translation and it will send all data from the router with its credencials and then pass the data back to the correct machine's mac address that sent the request to it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users