Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need New Antivirus And Firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

I currently have McAfee Internet Security Suite 8. Recently, it has been causing my computer to crash. After sending the error report to microsoft, it brings up a webpage saying that the "serious error" was casued by either mcafee persong firewall plus or mcafee virus scan.
I have decided to use one of the freeware replacements, but i dont knwo wich one to use.
Im most concerned about the firewall, I want to get one that is absolutley free, but i dont know which one is the best, or whats different between them.
SO,
What is the difference between ZoneAlarm, sygate, and the other free firewalls, which do i want to get; what else do i need. For regular cleaning i use CCleaner

thanks, toshibauser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:32 AM

Hi toshibauser :thumbsup:

There are as many security programs as there are opinions. Zone Alarm is favoured by many for the fact that is does not pull much resources from your PC contrary to for instance Norton. It is user-friendly. Given the fact you used a security suite ( all in product) you do not have a antivirus which is very much needed in today's digital world. I recommend and use AVG Free

You also would need anti-spyware application(s). I recommend AVG Anti Spyware.in cojunction with SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S & D and Lavasoft Adaware.

Please also read the following great articles :

BEST PRACTICES: PC World's Avoid viruses & Scams

Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources

Also go the Free Handy programs thread where you will find more info on other safety features and free handy programs

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:51 AM

There are reviews of various firewalls here.

Firewalls Reviews

They recommend ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5 as the best firewall, but it's not free. They recommend Comodo as the best free firewall. Of course this is just one opinion.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users