Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Sygate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hello folks,

I decided that I should try Sygate firewall, it has just occurred to me that since sygate has been bought by Symantec and incorporated into their... Security products :thumbsup: How do you go about paying and registering to unlock all the features? I kept on getting directed to Symantecs home page and a page not found page.

Any thoughts?
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

Have you considered the last freeware version?
Sygate Free
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

You can't buy or upgrade Sygate anymore through Sygate. You can get the Sygate "technology", but only if you buy the Symantec product. But if they haven't ruined it yet, in time they will.

I'm still using my original Sygate. The basic firewall engine is still working just fine. Sygate users had an unofficial support forum up for some time after the buyout, but it appears to be gone now.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the replies,
I am running sygate free at the moment but it has a load of options that are grayed out and wont let me alter anything which sucks.

It is a good firewall and would like to keep it, but if there is no chance of getting all the functions working I think I might get rid of it.

Thanks again
Regards,

Alan.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:14 AM

Make sure you are using the older version (free). I don't believe anything of any importance was disabled in it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

The features like anti mac spoofing and so on are all grayed out,
the firewall itself is quite good, but it would be nice to have all the features enabled.

Posted Image
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users