Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Ubuntu To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

My situation somewhat similar to one below. I installed Ubuntu 6.06 on an old laptop (over a badly corrupted W98 OS) and so far, I love Ubuntu and am anxious to take it on the internet but can't figure out how to connect.

My path to the internet is via cable connected by a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard modem. The laptop only has a USB connection, however the modem has both an ethernet and a USB outlet, so the physical connection is doable. But Ubuntu only gives me an error message in response to the modem's installation CD, so how do I get it to recognize and cooperate with the modem? Google hasn't been my friend on this one, nor have some of the Linux forums. Can someone here point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

I found this

http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Motorola-Su...dem/intro.shtml

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:58 AM

twardnw: Thanks for digging that out for me. At first glance it appears relatively complicated for my skill-level, but I want to learn this stuff so I'll get to work on it. Will post results/problems. Thanks again.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

I see 1 issue right off the bat. Anytime the tutorial indicates the "superuser" mode ('#'), you should type 'sudo' before the command.

Ubuntu has disabled the "superuser" mode.

Actually, according to that link, all you should have to do, is the following..

Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal, Then type,...

sudo apt-get install dhcpcd

Then start at page 3.

http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Motorola-Su...Modem/usb.shtml

Edited by Monster_user, 13 April 2007 - 11:58 AM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users