Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

Once again i require help!! Installing "Ubuntu" Igot to a point the program stopped and i could not go forward or back,so i took it to a local technician,who also couldn't install same. However he installed a different Linux program called" Lycoris"which i do not care for!!So i am thinking of downloading and installing
the" Suse"program. My question to informed members, is can i install a new program over the present one or will this have to be removed?And if it is the latter,how will i do this? Remember this computer is a new build and Linux is the only programs installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

Howdy oldbod, I recently installed openSUSE 10.2 and (like most other distros) it will give you the option to repartition and reformat you hard disk during the the partition manager setup. OpenSUSE defaults to using the reiserfs rather than ext2/ext3 so the whole file system is changed anyway if you leave it at the default, so no worries there. Also as a side note it won't simply add itself to your grub entries it will replace it with its own suse(ified) version, and if you are unlucky enough to get the xmas theme on your grub manager, it will go away after a few reboots (hopefully).
Cheers, Lucent.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

Thanks Lucent,sounds good!! Download gives me 3 choices of suse10-2. X86.-X86-64 & ppc, not sure what this means? could you please advise. also the one most suitable for a newbie like me.

#4 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:05 AM

the one for x86 is what you will most likely need. Unless you have a 64 bit processor, then you would need x86-64. PPC is for pocket PC based devices

#5 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:28 AM

Thank you Twardnw,your help greatly appreciated

#6 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

PPC is for pocket PC based devices

ACTUALLY. PPC is short for PowerPC, a.k.a the Apple Macintosh PowerPC. PPC is a Mac.
Technically, it refers to the IBM/Motorola PowerPC architecture. Use primaril in Macs, but also used in other systems, and in game consoles.

You are correct on the rest though.

Site note. 'x86' refers to Intel's processors, and those compatible with them (AMD, Via/Cyrix, etc). The 286, 386, 486, Pentium (586/686/etc), Celeron, and Core processors.

Edited by Monster_user, 13 April 2007 - 12:34 PM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#7 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

ah, lol. Only time I ever see PPC is for mobile devices. Guess that's from frequenting the forums for my phone. Didn't even think of Mac

#8 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:40 PM

Howdy again,

Thanks Lucent,sounds good!! Download gives me 3 choices of suse10-2. X86.-X86-64 & ppc, not sure what this means? could you please advise. also the one most suitable for a newbie like me.

No problem, if you have any other troubles let us know. Oh yeah and PPC does stand for PowerPC and x86-64 is for 64 bit processor based machines, so use that one if you have that type of processor, otherwise just use the x86 version.
Cheers, Lucent.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users