Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

I installed ubuntu over windows xp on my toshiba laptop.

However,
i cannot connect to the internet with it.
I have built in wireless that worked fine with windows xp. i am very new to linux, and need to know how to set up the wireless internet so i can connect ot it and use it. basically i need to know where to go to type in the network key and make it work.

Edited by toshibauser, 11 April 2007 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

Ok, so wireless access for Linux is a pita. What sort of wireless card do you have? Are you able to access the Internet by physically plugging in a cable somewhere? (you may need it to download the proper drivers)

#3 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

Its built in Atheros, There is a linksys broadband router in the office that i connect to using hte built in wireless. how do i allow linux to find it and connect to it

#4 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? We had problems with our internets when we installed with 6.06, but it cleared up when we upgraded to 6.10.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Thought you might want to be aware of the latest Ubuntu---Fiesty Fawn (7.04)
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu704
LONDON, April 16, 2007 For users wanting a secure, feature rich alternative to Microsoft Windows, Canonical Ltd., the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, announced today the Thursday release of Ubuntu version 7.04.
Ubuntu is the award-winning Linux distribution for the desktop, laptop, thin client and server which brings together the best of open source software every 6 months. Ubuntu 7.04 desktop edition includes a ground-breaking Windows migration assistant, excellent wireless networking support and improved multimedia support.

Interesting side note: Michael Dell uses Fiesty Dawn---check out the link below. (before MS talks him into taking it down)
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global....l=en&s=corp

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, buddy!

I downloaded it last night. I'll check it out and upgrade to see if it installs OpenGL for me :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users