Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Else Having Issues W/todays Windows Updates?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

I woke to a BSOD this morning - it's a hard drive error (STOP 0x7b: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7b )

The system will boot to the Windows loading screen and then crash. Problem is, I'm also having problems with the mobo recognizing the USB keyboard.

Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! :huh: :huh: :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

My wife's auto downloads and I just crossed my fingers and downloaded this afternoon. So far so good
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:15 AM

Everthing installed fine here!
MCP
MSDST

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

Perfect here.

#5 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Thanks! I guess I'm just cursed! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thanks! I guess I'm just cursed! :huh:

Global warming.

:huh:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Well, it took me all this time to figure this out - and to fix it. Here's the links:

The error left very few traces on the system - no dump files, and no specific information in the Event Viewer. BUT, sorting the errors in Event Viewer by date showed me at least 5 errors installing this update just prior to the NTFS errors that caused the crash (yet there were no previous NTFS errors).

I was suspecting the SATA/RAID drivers, and tried replacing them without success. I wasn't able to boot into Vista in normal or SafeMode without the error - but setting the mobo back to "failsafe" values and several attempts at a restore finally let me back in.

The culprit was KB925902 - does this look familiar?:

application_executable_name - Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\Windows\System32\Hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

Yes, I do have RealTeck audio built into the mobo! :huh:

As usual, sending the report to MS didn't give me any results either - so for now that update will remain uninstalled! I'm thinking of disabling the sound until I get around to getting a new sound card. Anyone know a good one that has Vista drivers?

The cause: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

The KB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB925902

Edited by usasma, 22 April 2007 - 04:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users