Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Antispyware Free Edition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

hello,
I have Vista Home Basic and am trying to install AVG Antispyware Free Edition. Yet I am always unsuccessful. Is this program compatible with Vista yet? If so, what am I doing wrong?

-- Jesse

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum; modified Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 11 April 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

There's no indication that it's compatible with Vista.

Right click on the installer and select the compatibility tab. Then tell it to run as XP SP2 AND Run as Administrator.

Once installed, locate the executable that runs the program and do the same thing to it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:04 AM

I have been running the free edition of AVG since I installed Vista Ultimate March 13th. I have had no problems installing or running this virus protection program. Maximum PC stated this program would run perfectly with Vista. Have you tried installing AVG as an administrator. Also, try in safe mode.

All I can say is that it is working for me. :huh:

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

He is enquiring about the Antispyware free edition.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

Sorry. I misunderstood. Have been looking at all kinds of anti spyware programs. Spyware Doctor,, Counterstrike, and SpySweeper are three well recognized programs. I've tried CounterStrike and it had problems with Windows Defender. I tried PC Tools Spyware Doctor and it conflicted with something on my system (couldn't find so I took it off) and am in the process of looking at Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus. Kim Kommando has a link to their site where you can get two years of the suite for the price of one year. You can also get just the spyware program for the same two year deal. I'll get the link and post back.

From what I have read here, you need more than one. Check the posts here. They are very good.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

SpySweeper works well with Vista if you make sure you get the latest version. We sell it at work and don't have any problems with the latest version (the earlier versions would Blue Screen during scans).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:13 AM

There's no indication that it's compatible with Vista.

Right click on the installer and select the compatibility tab. Then tell it to run as XP SP2 AND Run as Administrator.

Once installed, locate the executable that runs the program and do the same thing to it.

Thanks Usasma for your quick response. I tried this and it still did not work. Now I can't remove the program either..... I'm so confused.... :huh:
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

Chances are that the uninstaller requires the same permissions as the installer (so you'll have to apply the compatibility stuff to it also). I'm not aware of where the uninstaller lies, so maybe someone else can offer some advice? (can't try it on my Vista system because it died on me :huh:

#9 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

I have Vista Home Premium, and after several tries, can not install AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 Free Edition either.

Vista came on my new notebook, so it is not an upgrade or installation by me.

I know it is no consolation, other than you are not alone.

Barb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users